• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new, quiet PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

Here's my current system setup:

Case: MAXTOP Signature CSX-147K2F
CPU: Desktop Barton 2500 333 MHZ FSB w/stock HSF running at stock speed
Mobo: Soltek NFORCE2 SL-75MRN-L
RAM: 512 MB PC3200 Corsair XMS
PSU: SPARKLE FSP350-60BT 350W
Vid. Card: Radeon 9500 softmodded@9700
Drives: Generic 16X DVD Drive, NEC 2500A DVD-RW/+RW, 120GB Western Digital 8 MB cache version

I would like to replace my current noisy PSU with a quieter one. The one I'm looking at right now is the Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W. Is that a good choice? I would also like to be able to fit in a top case fan, which doesn't work right now because my current PSU is too big. Will this one be any smaller?

Thanks very much for your time,
-Jonathan.

Personally i wouldn't go with the thermaltake PSU. I had a 480W version of it, and when i ran my cpu @ 1.85V, the psu would just scream. It was totally unbarable. I recently purchased an Enermax noisetaker 485W, and even when i turn the fans full speed, it is FAR quieter than the Thermaltake one. I can't hear it really over my cpu fan.

The FSP350-60BT is a great power supply, I have one. The very first thing I did when I got mine (some 3 years ago) was to replace its hyperactive NMB fan (3110GL-B4W-B54) with something more reasonable. I would suggest you do the same thing. The stock unit is about two speed grades faster than I would have selected.

If I recall correctly, the -60BT does not have a variable speed fan controller. I would recommend a quality 80mm fan (Sanyo, Delta, NMB, and Mechatronics are my favorites) that spins at 2000-2400rpm for your unit. The stock NMB fan spins at something over 3000rpm, and this supply will survive with a lot less fan speed. Mine certainly did, and it was running a P4-1.8a at 3.42GHz(!). It continues to serve to this day, powering the same 1.8a at 2.4GHz in my mom's rig.

larva said:
The FSP350-60BT is a great power supply, I have one. The very first thing I did when I got mine (some 3 years ago) was to replace its hyperactive NMB fan (3110GL-B4W-B54) with something more reasonable. I would suggest you do the same thing. The stock unit is about two speed grades faster than I would have selected.

If I recall correctly, the -60BT does not have a variable speed fan controller. I would recommend a quality 80mm fan (Sanyo, Delta, NMB, and Mechatronics are my favorites) that spins at 2000-2400rpm for your unit. The stock NMB fan spins at something over 3000rpm, and this supply will survive with a lot less fan speed. Mine certainly did, and it was running a P4-1.8a at 3.42GHz(!). It continues to serve to this day, powering the same 1.8a at 2.4GHz in my mom's rig.

Well larva, this certainly sounds like a plan. Replacing the fan is a much cheaper option than replacing the whole PSU, not to mention I like my PSU. Is replacing the fan fairly easy to do?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

I just got a 485w Enermax PSU. Its dead silent, the voltages aren't perfect however. accoring to the MSI Core Center and the BIOS I get 1.45v on the Vcore, 3.31v on the 3.3v, 5.11v on the +5v, and 12.38v on the +12v. Check my signature for the model number, it was $90 on zipzoomfly.

jman999 said:
Well larva, this certainly sounds like a plan. Replacing the fan is a much cheaper option than replacing the whole PSU, not to mention I like my PSU. Is replacing the fan fairly easy to do?
Yeah, -60BT is a good unit. Replacing the fan is about as easy as PC work gets, two wires, 12V and ground. I cut the wires going to the original fan and solder them to the leads of whatever I want to use. Even if you can't bear the thought of soldering (bear it), you can run the fan's leads outside the supply with the rest of the wires and hook it to 12V externally.

Back