• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus announces heatpipe technology and AMD X2 support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prognatus

Registered
According to this article I read, Asus is announcing two interesting things:

- A heatpipe technology
- Which of their MB's will support AMD X2

Since this article is in norwegian, I'll translate everything for you as good as I can:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus makes use of heatpipe technology

Asus is equipping its AN8-SLI Premium with silent heatpipe cooling. At the same time the company says which motherboards that will support Athlon X2.

havard3.gif

By Håvard Røste
Published 28 May 2005.

click for large image

AI (Asus Intelligence) Cool-Pipe is the name of the solution that from now on will provide silent and good cooling of the chipset on A8N-SLI Premium. Recently we saw a similar solution from Abit.

According to Asus the solution will cool just as good as a fan based solution, but with no noise.

Athlon 64 X2 support
Asus also informs us which motherboards from the company that will support Athlon 64 X2.

Model................ Chipset............... BIOS version
---------------------------------------------------
A8N-SLI Deluxe... nForce4 SLI......... 1010 and newer
A8N-SLI............. nForce4 SLI......... 1008 and newer
A8N-E ............... nForce4 Ultra....... 1004 and newer
A8V Deluxe......... VIA K8T800 Pro.... 1013 and newer
A8V................... VIA K8T800 Pro.... 0205 and newer

Due to a limitation in the VIA K8T890 chipset, cards like Asus AV8-E Deluxe will not support Athlon 64 X2. A new revision of K8T890 with double core support will be ready in July.

The updated BIOS versions will be available for download from Asus' web pages on Monday.

(source: Asus)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This web paper is usually well informed in these matters. Although I tried to find confirmation on Asus' own web page, I couldn't even find the press area (duh!)... (why can't they make web pages more user friendly?) LOL

Last edited:
AMD released X2 yesterday, but prices seems to be higher than Pentium D. However, I beleive X2 is a much better processor than Pentium D! :)

AMD released X2 yesterday, but prices seems to be higher than Pentium D. However, I beleive X2 is a much better processor than Pentium D!

And you would base this on what, its ability to count armpit hair?

dicecca112 said:
LOL :p We'll see. I said I beleive it's better. I base that on the reviews I've read so far, plus the fact that Athlon was built from day one with double cores in mind. And Intel produces more heat.

im definately liking the chipset cooling via these heatpipes, thats fo shure. lol

dicecca112 said:
Counting armpit hair is an important computer function. There are several benchmarks that measure your cpu's counting ability. There's 2005 3DArmpitMark, although some users have complained that it's results are biased toward Intel users who pick at their pits and AMD users who scratch them. There is also the Si soft Armpit Bandwidth test, but this score has little to do with real world computer usage. My pick for the best pit score bencher is Super Pit. If your cpu can rack up a fast score on their 64m test then you have one gorilla rig.
On a serious note, I really think the armpit line was over the line. It's not the way people generally speak to each other on this forum. Fortunately, Prognatus has been a pretty good sport or it would have ignited another Intel versus AMD war, which nobody here needs.

Great, no more chip cooling noises. Hopefully, it will help with overclocking.

dicecca112 said:
About the CPU, without a question, The X2 will be a lot faster than Pentium D because it has HyperTransport technology and higher FSB. The Cache coherency on X2 is much better. It's a lot lower temperature and power and faster speed. Plus, it still has more room for overclock up to 2.6-3.0Ghz.

rseven said:
Counting armpit hair is an important computer function. There are several benchmarks that measure your cpu's counting ability. There's 2005 3DArmpitMark, although some users have complained that it's results are biased toward Intel users who pick at their pits and AMD users who scratch them. There is also the Si soft Armpit Bandwidth test, but this score has little to do with real world computer usage. My pick for the best pit score bencher is Super Pit. If your cpu can rack up a fast score on their 64m test then you have one gorilla rig.
On a serious note, I really think the armpit line was over the line. It's not the way people generally speak to each other on this forum. Fortunately, Prognatus has been a pretty good sport or it would have ignited another Intel versus AMD war, which nobody here needs.
That is interesting LOL.

Last edited:
yeah but asus had this 2 months ago. will be cool but where is it on a product that is in stores.

rseven said:

:D This is too much :D

rseven said:
. Fortunately, Prognatus has been a pretty good sport or it would have ignited another Intel versus AMD war, which nobody here needs.

yeah really....ATI vs nVidia wars are better anyway :p

Funny! :santa:

As was said above/below (depending on how your forum preferences are), nobody wants a processor war. Me neither! Peace... :) Just think how stupid it looks to chase each other in a field at dawn - only armed with a processor... I mean, in the end of the day we'd look silly with perforated skins in perfectly square marks... :p

looks like abit could take a lesson in board layout from asus on this one.

heatpipe is definantly good for a double take though. pretty wild how it snakes across the board. maybe we can get some pentium based boards to throw some heatpipes on the mosfets now :)

Silversinksam said:
Looks like Asus will have 200 less people prodicung them :shrug:

Asustek axes jobs

whats 200 jobs when you get accolades like this "In sharp contrast, Asustek was actually awarded no fewer than four gongs at yesterday's opening ceremony here at Computex" any less gongs and i would be embarased to own anything asus!

heh, u could lap and active cool the block on the nb too :D

as for the war, the war between chips is do to one being better than the other a some tests, and the other being better at others, all i want is for one of them to come out w/ a chip that simply IS BETTER than the other, no matter what bench, PWNAGE!!!! ALL YOUR BASE!!!! processor, which neither will ever put out

hawtrawkr said:
whats 200 jobs when you get accolades like this "In sharp contrast, Asustek was actually awarded no fewer than four gongs at yesterday's opening ceremony here at Computex" any less gongs and i would be embarased to own anything asus!
You might see that differently if one of the 200 jobs was your own. Perhaps some of those 200 people helped them to win those accolades. The computer industry is a tough competitive business, but in the end business has to be about serving people.
(Wow, I spelled everything right for a change! :))

Back