• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my card dying? [ss included]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidWolf

I'm currently running the following system.

Athlon XP 2600 (1.9ghz)
512 Corsair 2700 DDR ram
Biostar mobo, cant remember model - nforce2
Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro
(nothing overclocked)

Here's a ss of what happends
http://img186.echo.cx/my.php?image=gw0325xp.jpg

I get that randomly and a simple restart fixes, but is problem and a very annoying one.
After it happends, i have touched the heatsink which happends to be burning hot, that leads me to believe it might just be some kind of overheating problem.
But how is that possible when i have proper air flow in the case?
I mostly only play Counter Strike (old hl engine) and Guild Wars, so those are the only 2 games it has happended to.

Now dont quote me on this, but after a few months of radeon 9700 pro being out, i remember reading on rage3d boards people having fan failures on Gigabyte brand radeons.
Now i dont know if that's the case, i surely see the fan spinning unless the fan isnt providing the required airflow.

Another thing is that the system doesnt crash or anything, they game still runs and in a sense "playable" since you can kinda sense whats going on thru all those lines..

I also wanna add that i only had the 9700 pro installed for the last few days, before that it was on my "old/er" machine(sig) and i never had such problem with the 9600 xt(above spec) on this machine nor the 9700 on the old machine.

Could be. That is something like what happened when my mx420 died. I would suggest unistall the card and drivers. Download the latest drivers then reinstall it. If it still does it start saving money for a new card.

bad memory chips liekly. - good airflow in the case wont fo anything for your GPU core if it is not making proper contact - take itoff - add some AS5 /3 if u can and re-seat it.

Maybe, if you just switched the card from one comp to another, you shoukd try re-seating it to the AGP-slot. It could be just poor contact..

SolidWolf said:
I'm currently running the following system.

Athlon XP 2600 (1.9ghz)
512 Corsair 2700 DDR ram
Biostar mobo, cant remember model - nforce2
Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro
(nothing overclocked)

Here's a ss of what happends
http://img186.echo.cx/my.php?image=gw0325xp.jpg

I get that randomly and a simple restart fixes, but is problem and a very annoying one.
After it happends, i have touched the heatsink which happends to be burning hot, that leads me to believe it might just be some kind of overheating problem.
But how is that possible when i have proper air flow in the case?
I mostly only play Counter Strike (old hl engine) and Guild Wars, so those are the only 2 games it has happended to.

Now dont quote me on this, but after a few months of radeon 9700 pro being out, i remember reading on rage3d boards people having fan failures on Gigabyte brand radeons.
Now i dont know if that's the case, i surely see the fan spinning unless the fan isnt providing the required airflow.

Another thing is that the system doesnt crash or anything, they game still runs and in a sense "playable" since you can kinda sense whats going on thru all those lines..

I also wanna add that i only had the 9700 pro installed for the last few days, before that it was on my "old/er" machine(sig) and i never had such problem with the 9600 xt(above spec) on this machine nor the 9700 on the old machine.

The cooler of the 9700/9800 use a Hydro Bearing. That is ATI marketing spin for cheap sleeve.

The oil in the bearing has probaly dried up and the fan is running WAY slow allowing the GPU
to overheat.

Viper

Reseat , Reseat, Reseat.Clean the AGP slot wtih alcohol as well as the contacts on the card..I had tha happen a few times with my 9700Pro and after a good cleaning I never had it happen again..

^^ most likely, once when i cought my ring on the X800 i thought nothing of it, when i looked at the monitor i saw a screen like that, but i could still move the mouse. Although if ram is overclocked to much you can get tiny little bits of the screen going like that.

Thanks for the replies everyone, to answer a few of the suggestions posted, the card is not physically dmg, everything is in place and nothing appears burned.
I unfortunately ran outta AS2 a couple of weeks ago, so not an option atm.

After i posted the topic, i placed the 9700 pro back on the other machine, has been a few days and so far the problem has not occurred.
Maybe after-all improper agp contact is the problem.. i hope so..

However, how am i suppose to clean the agp slot with alcohol?
Correct me if i'm wrong but for the card contacts i could take a Qtip dipped into alcohol and clean with that?
But for the agp slot.. qtip wouldnt fit, and duo to sharp edges it would leave alot of cotton behind.
I'll wait for someone to correct me before i go experimenting. Thanks

Back