• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok.. nobb question here but I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverbreez

Registered
Heya all...

I have a server built running win2K server.. and set up with DNS, DHCP, and active directory and a domain name (not official just for LAN purposes) and I have 3 other PC's connected to my D-link wireless router... 2 of them wireless and the server and my main rig.. wired with cat5... m router has built in dhcp and built in static dhcp IP what i want to do is use my 2K server box to run the DHCP and DNS stuff and just use the D-link wireless router for wireless-LAN access and for it's built in switch.. but every time i disable the dhcp in the router itself.. i lose all connectivity.. even with my server running dns, dhcp, and AD... :bang head I've called tech support and they basically told me that my router can't do this... are they right? and do i need a separate switch? or is there something I'm not doing to my win2K server set up?

First off, I'd like to say that I love nobb questions, they are the best...And deserve my nobb-like questions!

Well, do your computers know where the server is? Are your computers in the DHCP's list? I mean, does it see them? Let us know...

ok.. I've just spent the whole day on & off tech support phone calls.. and :bang head myself to get this working... I have my server running AD, DHCP,DNS and here is my current topology: Internet--->Win2k Server--->Wireless Router--->main rig, and wireless rigs D-link told me to run it this way.. and to NOT use the WAN port on the router.. which i'm not.. well I can get web connection on the server setup... and set up dns, and dhcp.. but the other rigs dont talk to one another.. I'm trying to connect two machines running winXP home edition.. should i use XP Pro? :bang head

Ok... re-fried my main rig to XP Pro.. and i'll re-post the results after i get back to it ty guys

and Bill gates said... let there be Server 2003... and my prayers were answered.. LOL anyway.. last update.. i re-fried every client to xpPRO and cranked up server 2k3 on my baby server box.. and all is well with the world.. my next question is.. should i invest in a small hardware firewall because i have my DSL running right into my server? or should I try a software approach.. if so.. what's a good one to go with?

here's couple things you might want to check:
1) What is the internal LAN IP for your router?
2) Is it within the same subnet as the rest of your network?
3) Is the internal LAN IP for your router the default gateway address in your DHCP lease file
4) Are you able to ping your router?
5) Are you able to ping a host outside of your LAN by using an IP address?
6) Did you include the DNS IPs given by your ISP in the DHCP lease file?

and if you are using your own DNS server:
1) did you remove the . tree so it will request lookups from root servers?
2) did you enable port forwarding for DNS?

go through this check list, it will help you identify where your configuration problem is. your router should be able to work even when you run a different DHCP server since almost all routers work with static IP configuration.

Back