• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Q about dullys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evaseeker

i know this is a stupid Q about dual MB..

but does normal dual MB, support windows xp pro.. normal windows.. 32bit or 64bit :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter the MB so much, more so the CPUs.

XP Pro supports 2 CPUs (2 physical and 2 virtual)

2k Pro does the same, and as you move up the ladder, it supports more.

Not sure on Win2003, but I know they all support 2. Some even more. Data center supports more than any of us can afford.

Only 64 bit CPUs are the Opts and Nocans. 2k3 and XP 64 should work on both.

i see the new iwill board that support 4 xeons and dual cores..
which have the ram in a card above the MB,, should work with a 32bit windows xp pro???

evaseeker said:
i see the new iwill board that support 4 xeons and dual cores..
which have the ram in a card above the MB,, should work with a 32bit windows xp pro???

XP Pro only supports 2 physical CPUs.

4 cores = 4 physical CPUs.

w2k Pro = 2 (can't see difference between physical and virtual processors)
XP Pro 32bit = 2 physical and 2 virtual
XP 64bit edition = 4 physical
2003 Web Edition = 2 physical
2003 standard = 4
2003 enterprise = 8
2003 datacenter = 32,
2003 64bit datacenter (AMD64/IA64) = 64

So the cheapest 4 cpu windows is the new 64bit win XP, as long as your processors are 64-bit.

BUT... if you wan't quad processors then you have to get Opteron 8xx (AMD) or Xeon MP (Intel) processors and they cost from $1000-$6000 EACH.

XP Pro supports 2 CPUs (2 physical and 2 virtual)
So it will support two physical CPUs, each with 2 virtual CPUs? As in...two P4's with hyperthreading? Or is that 2 virtual CPUs OR 2 physicals?

johan851 said:
So it will support two physical CPUs, each with 2 virtual CPUs? As in...two P4's with hyperthreading? Or is that 2 virtual CPUs OR 2 physicals?

XP Pro supports 2 XEONs. 2 Physical CPUs, one in each socket, and 2 virtual.

Each CPU is HT. You get 4 graphs in task manager.

Follow me?

Back