• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ghetto HDD Cooler ( Cheap! ) + Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goshawk

Greetings Guys,

Got this idea when i was about to toss a non-functional 3 1/4" floppy drive out the window. Use the bottom plate of the floppy drive as a plate to attach a fan =P :p I had a neat little high CFM 80mm "Sunyon?" ball bearing fan hanging around, so i got to it.

What you'll need:

Jewlers tiny Screw driver (philips)
Regular old Philips screwdriver
80mm fan (or two, depends on how much blowage you desire)
old 3 1/4" floppy drive with a removable bottom plate

optional:

Beer ( schlitz preferable, natural ice will be OK)
Mullet
Dremel ( if you want to bore out the plate or something )

1)
ghettohd_1.jpg

remove plate from floppy drive. Mine had the screw holes right in the bottom plate, so things were easy. this may not work with all drives, but you'll need to use whatever side contains the mounting holes

2)
ghettohd_3.jpg

Check to see if they're are existing holes on the top of the plate you can use, my plate had plenty, only two lines up with the fan holes. Only 2 mounting screws are going to be needed, unless your uber paranoid

3)
ghettohd_2.jpg

mount fan & route fan lead

4)
ghettohd_4.jpg

enjoy!

My fan turned out a little hokey, but it's a good filler until i can make a clean one, or do something different. My girlfriend who doesn't mod, and doesn't care poked fun at me, so be prepared & have your flack jacket handy

~ Gos

Back