• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

graham barnes

I s it possible to overclock a laptop and if so how? I am new to this and think its on its way out anyway :p as it has had heat problems before but would like to get a extra ounce of speed out of it.

thanks
Graham Barnes

yes of course its possible but prob not a good idea. tops get hot enough as it is, overclocking to gain 10% (which is nothing) puts an extra uneeded strain on the cpu. if you are still interested, im sure ull find a lot of anwsers here, let us know what you got and what ur tryin to do

its mostly done with software, you have to ifnd out what PLL IC the laptop has and hope that it can be changed by software. then jsut go liek you would any other OC. up it, prime95, watch temps... all that stuff

something to take note of, faster you runnin more power is consumed.. so less battery life. it also can go the other way, drop the speed and get longer life. on my old lappy... i could drop the FSB to 85 and drop the multi to 3.5, and it would keep playin the mp3s and type notes on word just fine, and get alot of time left on the batteries.

Cool thanks I will have a look for a app and i have a app that lets me know the temperature of it. I dont know if im wrong but is that how the manufacturers give so long battery life eg 3hrs is my new laptop and its a sony "vgn-a217s" but the one i am thinking of overclocking is my old sony "PCG-QR10"

if it had heat problems before overclocking it wont do anything., also you cant always trust thos temp. programs.

graham barnes said:
Cool thanks I will have a look for a app and i have a app that lets me know the temperature of it. I dont know if im wrong but is that how the manufacturers give so long battery life eg 3hrs is my new laptop and its a sony "vgn-a217s" but the one i am thinking of overclocking is my old sony "PCG-QR10"

What happens is that the processors in most laptops now throttle themselves when under low usage. Also some desktop CPUs do the same, ie AMD Athlon 64s have cool and quiet. The manufacturers do not underclock the cpu's, they drop their own multipliers.

Btw, I think that the link in your sig is innapropriate and is advertising.

What you are talking bout is called Speedstep by Intel. My mobile P4 2.8 runs at 1.6 in 'battery mode' or 2.8 in 'full power mode'...

i got my prescott inspiron before tey were doing the presscott's with speedstep so full throttle for me 24/7! - i get about hour 5mins on my battery

willkill1337 said:
Btw, I think that the link in your sig is innapropriate and is advertising.

Speaking of links, regular members are not allowed to have any, except to other threads here, Folding, SETI, or Heatware.

I can't remove it, but I would suggest that you do, before someone with more power does. They tend to get, uh, "abrupt."

Not you, Will, Graham.

steve

Back