• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proggie that lets me fold on systems with heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Guy's, I found a great little program to lower system temps for those systems (like Dell's and my Athlon XP systems w/ stock HSF's) that won't stably fold due to heat issues.

It's called CPUIdle Extreme. This little program let me drop temps from an average 60-63C load to 49-53C load and dropped the case temp from 38C to 36C with my XP 2600+ systems. I thought this was fairly impressive as these systems would sometimes fall over due to heat issues, and I no longer have a problem. It also interoperates with MBM5.

I came across this little proggie in a search for something that would do this as I was going to have to remove two Athlon XP 2600+ systems, each with 512MB from my folding effort due to stability issues. There was no way I was going to spend money on better heatsinks.

Thanks to CPUIdle Extreme I no longer have to do this. I've only tried this product on boards with VIA chipsets to date so I don't know how this would work with nForce, ATI, ALi or SiS based mainboards.

I hope this is of help to others out there also.

You can find a 30 day trial version here: http://www.cpuidle.de/news.php

Last edited:
I would think it would slow down your folding, although some folding is better than none. It looks like it just suspends the cpu when it receives a hlt instruction (not sure how many you would be getting if you are folding) so the cpu wouldn't be folding at 100% cpu all the time. At least that is what I would think.

electrorcamd said:
I would think it would slow down your folding, although some folding is better than none. It looks like it just suspends the cpu when it receives a hlt instruction (not sure how many you would be getting if you are folding) so the cpu wouldn't be folding at 100% cpu all the time. At least that is what I would think.

Well I tried setting CPU useage to 70% on the systems in question and got a measly 1C temp decrease. So I changed the priority=0 to priority=1 in the WinFAH CFG file and loaded this proggie. The systems now sit a 66% with a very nice temp drop.

And you're quite right. Any production level is better than none at all :cool:

Last edited:
That's why I carry compressed air to any potential borgs spray the HSF and have a stable folder.

Steveo989 said:
That's why I carry compressed air to any potential borgs spray the HSF and have a stable folder.

These two are new systems with no dust in them. The problem is more to do with the surrounding work environment and more likely the fact the the stock heat sinks that come with the 1.91GHz Athlon XP 2600+ CPU's have no copper core and an inadequate cooling fan.

The case's in question also have crappy airflow due to extremely restrictive fan grilles (basically just small holes drilled in the case)

Last edited:
That's not right at all. Seriously unless you're working in the middle of the desert the stock heatsinks should hold up. I've built tonnes of systems and the stock heatsinks keep the systems under 50, sometimes even overclocked it's under 50 (Intel or AMD).

Then again I pick good ventilated cases with good flow.

If you're living in the middle of the scorching desert then don't listen to me.

Sounds nifty, but I have built literally hundreds of computers and rarely ever come across a heat issue. If my friends Dell/Gateway/Viao is heating up, slap some fans in the case (Vantec Stealth fans seem to please the non-computer junkies) and call it a day.

Furthermore, I would rather change the percentage of usage in the client.cfg than have yet another service running on my rig. Just my opinion.

w00r!

Admittedly this prog is not for everyone, but it suits my purpose just fine.....

BTW, the systems in question used all cheap components as they were built on a real budget. The case's were crap as the were $49 Australian, which works out at $37 US dollars. Airflow is not good at all. Adding fans wouldn't help due to the fact that the cases use small holes drilled in the case instead of actual fan grilles.

They use integrated graphics, nic, sound etc. Basically the cheapest of the cheap. I stuck with decent brands on everything but the case.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ w/ stock HSF (3yr warranty)
ASUS A7V400-MX mainboard (3yr warranty)
80GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD (3yr wararnty)
Sony FDD + LG GCC-4520BBK DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (6 month warranty)
512MB PC3200 KingMax RAM (Limited lifetime warranty)
Cheap *** no-name case w/ 400W PSU (Buggered if I know the warranty, a real pain to assemble)

The owners wouldn't appreciate me using a dremel on them I'm sure. They do the job quite well without overheating until f@h is loaded on them. I'd just as soon have them stable and folding with decreased production levels than not at all. They're running 48C today, a big improvement over their previous 60C.

mjw21a said:
Admittedly this prog is not for everyone, but it suits my purpose just fine.....

BTW, the systems in question used all cheap components as they were built on a real budget. The case's were crap as the were $49 Australian, which works out at $37 US dollars. Airflow is not good at all. Adding fans wouldn't help due to the fact that the cases use small holes drilled in the case instead of actual fan grilles.

They use integrated graphics, nic, sound etc. Basically the cheapest of the cheap. I stuck with decent brands on everything but the case.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ w/ stock HSF (3yr warranty)
ASUS A7V400-MX mainboard (3yr warranty)
80GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD (3yr wararnty)
Sony FDD + LG GCC-4520BBK DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (6 month warranty)
512MB PC3200 KingMax RAM (Limited lifetime warranty)
Cheap *** no-name case w/ 400W PSU (Buggered if I know the warranty, a real pain to assemble)

The owners wouldn't appreciate me using a dremel on them I'm sure. They do the job quite well without overheating until f@h is loaded on them. I'd just as soon have them stable and folding with decreased production levels than not at all. They're running 48C today, a big improvement over their previous 60C.
in all honesty there is something else that is wrong. I have a comp under my desk at work that i just threw together to fold on. Its been running a good 5 days straight 100% usage and the air coming out the exhaust is barely luke warm (cooler than my Xeon system by a good deal) and the case was a 29.99 POS, no intake fan, 1 exhaust and 1 fan in PSU. combined with a 15$ HSF only because the stock one I had was a bad fan. And I wouldnt trust this thing in any real system I build but point being, heat is no issue there. and the mobo is integrated everything, costed me 35 bucks shipped.

What are room temps like over there compared to here in Australia? No-one trusts stock AMD HSF's here. I'd have preferred to have put some Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040 HSF's into these but it would have driven the price up by $35 AUD per system and the client just wasn't willing to pay the extra. :shrug:

mjw21a said:
What are room temps like over there compared to here in Australia? No-one trusts stock AMD HSF's here. I'd have preferred to have put some Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040 HSF's into these but it would have driven the price up by $35 AUD per system and the client just wasn't willing to pay the extra. :shrug:
well it runs in an airconitioned building. The thermostat is usually in the ~75F ranges feels a little cooler than that at times tho.

In my room, where I have 4 and soon to be 6 hard hitting systems running 100% 24/7 it gets very warm in here if its too hot outside to open the window. I do live in Colorado after all but even then, 60C is just absurd. Heck one of my first real computers was an XP 1700 that I clocked to around 1.8? or so and it ran on stock cooling under full load at ~55C during the summer. During thw winter of course I would open my patio door in my apartment and drop ambient temps to a chilly ~50-60F :)

*edit* Ive heard about the -no-stock-cooling thing in AU know a person or two down there. but you should have pushed your clients into getting it, since it would help greatly. Or atleast a different alternative to the stock one becaus eI know how bad those are :)

And another fan, even with airflow a bit restricted by a grill it will help, heh

These systems are running in the service dept at a car dealership. There's no airconditioning down here and the heat from allt the computers makes it really quite hot. You literally sit here and sweat. My hands are sweating right now actually as I'm in the service dept at the moment.

Some of the Dell Dimensions in the sales dept (where there actually is air conditioning) overheat anyways with f@h loaded, so these AMD box's are still better from a heat perspective.

Ah, an auto place that makes a bit more sense. And with the window shut and door closed I start to sweat quite a bit in here :) need to find an apartment again so i can crank up another 4 machines but just no room in this place X_X

Yep. My only two options were really 1 - a better HSF, or 2 - this proggie.

I'll go with option 2 as it costs me less.

Back