• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Whats up Overclockers? I come here in search of some awnsers. I know the knowledge of computers in this forum is endless and I figure this would be a good place to make a thread on getting some advice and help from the best.
I am currently a senior at Hershey High School and its time for a new computer. If I were to give myself a rating out of 10 on my knowledge of computers and the details that go into a custom computer, I'de rank myself about a 5 out of 10. I have a budget of 2000 dollars, I do not need a moniter or speakers, just computer. I have the mouse and keyboard and all the misc stuff. I've always been a hardcore gamer, and always will be. I am looking for a computer that runs without error. I want to see what the forum can advise me to do with a 2000 dollar budget on buying parts to build a computer. I prefer to use newegg if possible because I've used them before and they are pretty respectable.

Thanks for your info, but that wasnt exactly what I was looking for, not too much information there.

CASE: THERMALTAKE Tsunami $106
PSU: Fortron Source BLUE STORM 500W $91
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice $196
HEATSING/FAN: XP-120 /THERMALTAKE 120mm/2800RPM $70
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR $196
RAM: G-SKILL 1GBLE $281
HD: 2XSeagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB IN RAID0 $210
VIDEO CARD: ASUS X850XTPE $629
SOUND CARD: Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition $113
DRIVES CD: LITE-ON Black 52X CD-ROM IDE $15
DRIVES DVD: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R $55

TOTAL: $2007

OR YOU COULD GET DIFFERENT VID CARD AND CUT DOWN ON EXP.

VID CARD: Leadtek 6800Ultra $489

TOTAL: $1822

THIS IS A KILLER GAMING SETUP :attn:

Last edited:
if im you, i will only wait few weks (maybe a month) and get a newer graphic card from Nvidia G70 or Ati R520 ( it will own every today available card at about the same price)...and i will get dual-core for sure...

ronaldo said:
if im you, i will only wait few weks (maybe a month) and get a newer graphic card from Nvidia G70 or Ati R520 ( it will own every today available card at about the same price)...and i will get dual-core for sure...

I agree with you on the G70 if he want's to wait (the price will not be the same,, it will be much higher up at $600-$700), but there is no reason for him to spend $500 on X2 CPU since he indicated that he want's a gaming rig.

Are you just gaming or will you be multitasking + gaming?

The x2 will be nice, and also feel SMOOTH.

I would say it would be worth going as low as a x800xl ($250) in order to get an x2

nealric said:
Are you just gaming or will you be multitasking + gaming?

The x2 will be nice, and also feel SMOOTH.

I would say it would be worth going as low as a x800xl ($250) in order to get an x2
Multitasking and gaming somtimes, sometimes just multitasking, but i find myself playing just video games mostly.

X2 is not worth it, RedDragons setup is one bad *** rig and damn good bang for the buck.
I would however wait for G70 or R520 cores to show up before you buy.
You can probebly get that 3200 Venice to 2.6-2.7Mhz out of the box with that RAM and Mobo.
Great setup overall, love it.

First lemme say 2K!?!? whoa lol, in high school, i barely had 200 dollars :(

RedDragonXXX said:
CASE: THERMALTAKE Tsunami $106
PSU: Fortron Source BLUE STORM 500W $91
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice $196
HEATSING/FAN: XP-120 /THERMALTAKE 120mm/2800RPM $70
MOBO: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR $196
RAM: G-SKILL 1GBLE $281
HD: 2XSeagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB IN RAID0 $210
VIDEO CARD: ASUS X850XTPE $629
SOUND CARD: Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition $113
DRIVES CD: LITE-ON Black 52X CD-ROM IDE $15
DRIVES DVD: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R $55

TOTAL: $2007

OR YOU COULD GET DIFFERENT VID CARD AND CUT DOWN ON EXP.

VID CARD: Leadtek 6800Ultra $489

TOTAL: $1822

THIS IS A KILLER GAMING SETUP :attn:

X800XL is way more than enough to run current games, and he doesn't need a sound card, as he stated in his post, + the mobo got a sound card on it :) and i'd get an lian-li case, those are sexy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112508 200 dollars, but hey, 2K! wow

I do not remember the exact name for it (i am sure the rest of you guys do) but if you got 2X6600gt's PCI-E you can hook them up so that they work together and give you double the performance. Maybe some of you guys can look up prices and tell him more about this but thats all I know about it :p

I don't see any reason to go SLI. And I agree that if you can wait a while to wait for the new cards to come out. They will last longer than the current ones and with that budget you need to drop a top card into it.

My next computer, I want to make sure I have the best memory possible... from my experiences I always find I dont get high quality RAM. What do you look for in high quality RAM and what dont you look for.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D $135
3700+ Sandi $338 - Yep, but in that budget why not a 4000+ Venice? They are the same clock speed as an FX55 just with only 512kb L2 cache and locked multiplier.
CORSAIR XMS 1GB TCCD $188
SAPPHIRE X850XT 256MB $459 - I'd agree definately, the PE is ridiculously more expensive for just a tiny clock increase which you could get out of a small OC anyway.
ASPIRE X-Plorer Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower $56
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 $100
XP-90 $36
Sunon 92mm fan $6
NEC DL DVD burner $46
Seagate 7200.8 SATA 250gb $131
Logitec MX518 $41
Logitec Elite Keyboard $29
- No keyboard and mouse needed.

That's what I think although a 3200 Venice could be purchased as opposed to a higher end Venice/ San Diego and the money saved could possibly pay for a Phase Change cooling system/ Water Cooling ?

Back