• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need opinions on some WB designs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Big One

i'm going to try and make some water block for my new PC.
CPU , GPU , NB , HDD.

but i don't know what desing to take.
i don't wan't to do copper caps.
here are some designs i'm considering.( i have very poor painting skills)
all block except HDD are made from several layers of coper welded to gether .
the GPU will be simler to CPU

but i don't know how to make pins

i need help in finding good designs and making pins

plz help

Attachments

• block.JPG
    block.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 135
First off you need to tell us what tools you have access to. Machine shop maybe?

You just want to know which if the designs you showed will probably perform better? Or do you want a push in a better direction? If its the first Id go with the Pin design. if its the second go over to procoolings WB design forum.

tools : basic tools and table drill
i'm trying to get acsses to CNC or good mill but.... no luck so far

push me to better derection , this drowings are just ideas

this is my first try in making WB so i doesn't have to be perfect , just to work well.
more blocks will come

Depending on what pump you are using, some designs are better then others.

a maze design is good for low flowrate.

I have built about 25 blocks this winter, experimenting with differnt designs. I also found that with a maze, it is better to go with a thicker base, so that the heat can be transfered out further to alow more serface area for water contact.

big_dish said:
What is the advantage of welding several layers together?

So you can have your base, riser plate (places the bottom of the top plate above your design like pins etc), then your top plate. Dont have to be welded. Can be screwed and with o-rings like a lot of blocks. This makes it easier and usually cheaper to manufacturer.

i think those plans are pretty good, but again what type of pump do you have?

I would make the third CPU block design but without the "maze walls" by the inlet & outlet. Theres no real need for that since it'll just impede flow more. I'd go for the second NB design since NBs don't really make too much heat & the extra restriction on the first one wouldn't be worth it.

Moto7451 said:
I would make the third CPU block design but without the "maze walls" by the inlet & outlet. Theres no real need for that since it'll just impede flow more. I'd go for the second NB design since NBs don't really make too much heat & the extra restriction on the first one wouldn't be worth it.

I would keep them, baffles in the mcw6000 series seem to help.

Back