• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu for kt400 platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

which cpu is the best that i can get for my motherboard? kt400 dragon platinum. i just want to run it at stock, and not overclock the cpu. any suggestions? i looked at a chart and it said that the athlon3000+ is as high as i can go. this true? thanks.

yes that would be seeing the highest fsb that board can support is 333, and the 3200+ is a 400fsb, so it would either be downclocked or out right not work.

The Barton Xp3000 is waht I currently have in my KT400 plat, and it works just fine. This is my 3rd chip in this board. I started out with a xp1800, upgraded to a thourghbred XP2100, and then replaced it with the 3000.

I have liked this board since I 1st got it, but it has some issues now that I can't tell if they are related to the chip or if I just pushed to far and damaged something on the board.

Well I have 3 annoying issues on it 1 i had with the 2100 cip also and the other 2 are only since I installed the barton 3000

1) On startup I will get the beeps from the board locating the drives, but more often than not after it finds the 2 HD's I get a long tone and no boot up. It takes a couple of tries turning the compuer off then on again before it boots. (this was also with the 2100)

2) When I am deleting a .avi or .wmv file as soon as I press delete my screen goes black for a few seconds then returns with the delete confermation box. This only happens with the .avi or .wmv files. It does not do it with quicktime, divx, or real files.

3) The most annoing problem I have is the most recent one. Every time the task manager shows that I have around 200mb of ram in use (out of 512) any video being played either boggs down (In winamp and Windows Media Player) or goes away to a blank playback box (quicktime). I hope this one will be fixed when my 1gb of new ram arrives on Thurs.

and BTW, so as to not threadjack to badly I think I remember hearing from somewhere the reason the Soyo KT400 board will only support the 3000 (333 FSB) as a maximum chip is because even though the board has the divider in the BIOS to support the 400 FSB it was never fully supported in the first KT400 boards and as a result it will not work with the divider using the settings needed for the 400 FSB.

I guess you could set the divider lower and push the FSB up in the BIOS to the up to the level needed to get the 400 fsb. For me when I upgraded to the xp3000 it wasn't worth it to go 1 more level higher and see if the chip would work in my board. Because if it didn't work, I wasn't ready to have to get a new board at the time.

can i downclock the 400 fsb to 333 and it will run fine?
i just might have to do that if that's the case.

nobluo said:
can i downclock the 400 fsb to 333 and it will run fine?
i just might have to do that if that's the case.

You should be able to, the multiplyer will most likely be locked on the chip but the FSB and the divider can be set. I know when my board starts up funny and i have to reset the BIOS it will run fine at the default fsb/BOIS setting for my chip of 13*100.

So if the 3200 runs at 2.2ghz (11*200) but you will problaly only be able to set it to 11*166 for 1.826 ghz (because the multi is locked on bartons now). But again you should also be able to push the FSB closer to the stock speed for the 3200 chip. The best I was ever able to get out of my board was 177

i have not but i think i will try that 2600. everyone is talking about it.

it will be my first overclocking experience. i dont know anything about overclocking, but will learn.
i hope you guys can help when my new cpu arrives.

thanks for the help

i have an athlon 2000 now.
anyone know how hard i can push it? its running on defaults. has anyone had any experience overclocking this one? maybe i should try to OC this 2000 cpu first. just to put that under my belt

Paradoxmaker said:
is because even though the board has the divider in the BIOS to support the 400 FSB it was never fully supported in the first KT400 boards and as a result it will not work with the divider using the settings needed for the 400 FSB.

AFAIK, there aren't any kt400 boards that fully support 200 FSB. Need a working 1/6 divider for that. That didn't show up until the kt600s came out.

And the 2600 mobile would be great for that board.

Start by downloading CPU-Z and record what you see there. Looks like your Multi might be locked at 12.5. Then start raising your FSB in small steps and see if it will boot into windows. If you start getting errors when windows loads up your vcore (watch your temps! :eek: ) Make a record of all changes you make to your BIOS and CPU-Z results. It's all about trial and error. Take a look at your manual it has some fair info on O\Cing your board in the BIOS. Dont do anything your unsure of especially if this is your only computer. O\Cing can cause all sorts of things to go wrong with your system if you push it too far. Read the stickies and keep us posted on results, and questions. The guys with this board are your best resource.
Good Luck,
Killa

Kill_A._Byte said:
Start by downloading CPU-Z and record what you see there. Looks like your Multi might be locked at 12.5. Then start raising your FSB in small steps and see if it will boot into windows. If you start getting errors when windows loads up your vcore (watch your temps! :eek: ) Make a record of all changes you make to your BIOS and CPU-Z results. It's all about trial and error. Take a look at your manual it has some fair info on O\Cing your board in the BIOS. Dont do anything your unsure of especially if this is your only computer. O\Cing can cause all sorts of things to go wrong with your system if you push it too far. Read the stickies and keep us posted on results, and questions. The guys with this board are your best resource.
Good Luck,
Killa

thanks. will definately post results and changes as i go along.

thanks

FlailBoy said:
AFAIK, there aren't any kt400 boards that fully support 200 FSB. Need a working 1/6 divider for that. That didn't show up until the kt600s came out.

And the 2600 mobile would be great for that board.

The kvx42aa9 will give you the 1/6 divider to run at 200 mhz fsb if you have the PC 3200 ram. You will have to use the preset 200 mhz fsb, not manual.

Pernundel said:
The kvx42aa9 will give you the 1/6 divider to run at 200 mhz fsb if you have the PC 3200 ram. You will have to use the preset 200 mhz fsb, not manual.

Are you sure? I read some of the BIOS descriptions here...

Soyo BIOS

...and if they would have included *anything* in the descriptions I would have thought that a working 1/6 divider would have been something pretty extraordinary.

Yes I'm sure . This what I'm running on my KT 400 Dragon Ultra Platinum. It will only give me the 1/6 divider on the preset 200 mhz fsb option. If I put it in manual and type in the 200 mhz fsb, I lose the 1/6 divider. It will default back to the 1/5 divider because it will read my XP 2800 i guess. But 200 mhz fsb with a 12.5 multi ain't bad on a via 400 board. Also you need PC 3200 ram.

A good friend of mine has the same setup as I do and gets the same results. But others I know can't get their XP 2800 over 180 mhz fsb on the KT 400 board or 190 mhz fsb on a nforce board (Abit NF7).

Pernundel said:
Yes I'm sure . This what I'm running on my KT 400 Dragon Ultra Platinum. It will only give me the 1/6 divider on the preset 200 mhz fsb option. If I put it in manual and type in the 200 mhz fsb, I lose the 1/6 divider. It will default back to the 1/5 divider because it will read my XP 2800 i guess. But 200 mhz fsb with a 12.5 multi ain't bad on a via 400 board. Also you need PC 3200 ram.

A good friend of mine has the same setup as I do and gets the same results. But others I know can't get their XP 2800 over 180 mhz fsb on the KT 400 board or 190 mhz fsb on a nforce board (Abit NF7).

Wow. That's excellent. Did not know that. Might look for a bargain board for some spare parts I have lying about.

I have a 2400+ running 200 FSB on the board just below the platinum, and nver once have I had any problems. As long as you have memory that can take it, 200 FSB should be easy.

It may have bad caps if it always fails to POST during the first try!!!

Please check the caps!!!

For more information about the bad cap issue, go to the following web site:

http://badcaps.net

Back