• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hacking A Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

I have purchased a very cheap power supply and to make it quieter is it possible to replace the fans?

Amarkarian said:
I have purchased a very cheap power supply and to make it quieter is it possible to replace the fans?

probably you can exchange fans, though it will void warranty, other thing is the the design of psu, I had psu that changing fans didn't help

It is possible to replace the fans. The problem is because it is cheap the heatsinks on it now are probably less then standard and it needs every last CFM out of that fan to keep it running somewhat cool. You change the fan to make it quiet. All you have made is a time bomb.

depends on your PSU. If it's an effieicnt one and produces little heat, it is safe. But I doubt a cheap PSU can good components for great efficiency.

Sometimes, the fan isn't the only noise part of the PSU. I tried swapping out the fan in an FSP300 for a more quiet one, only to find out there is electrical noise as well.

I swapped the fan in my PSU. Check this link
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=997121

I have since replaced the fan with a low speed Globe for better cooling though

Back