• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my HDD just die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Ok so i'm sitting here encoding a video and all of a sudden I hear a sound like...

Buzzz CLICK CLICK buzzz CLICK CLICK buzz CLICK CLICK etc etc.

Comp totally freezes, I have to restart, now it won't boot Windows. So i'm sitting here in Knoppix and it does the same thing if I try to access the HDD (yet I can bairly read the drive).

I'm guessing it just died? Poor thing is only a few years old, got it on Black Friday.

I'm fairly sure it's a Maxtor drive but i'm going to have to pull it out to check. I'm praying there is some type of warrenty becuase I can't afford this right now.

NCQ doesnt really make a difference except on big files and servers or so I've heard. I have those drives by the way (raid 0) :D, awesome price for the performance. And dont forget about the 5 year warranty

NCQ would be perfect for me since it seems slowest when moving large files. And I def want a SeaGate now since some of my other OLD drives are still goin strong, and their SeaGates. Plus I want that 5yr warrenty. The drive must be good if they offer a 5year warrenty.

I just don't want to get a NCQ drive then find out it doesn't work with my NF7-S, so far I can't find anything about it.

All right I am fairly sure the NF7-S doesn't support NCQ... but am I going to have problems haing a NCQ drive with SATA that doesn't support it?

Edit - Ah
From the SeaGate FAQ
Can I use my NCQ supported hard drive with a non NCQ supported controller or motherboard?

Yes. The NCQ supported hard drives will work just fine with non-NCQ supported controllers or motherboards. However you will not be able to take advantage of the NCQ features.

Now I just need to figure out how to tell my mom my HDD just died.

Last edited:
What is the deal with those maxtor drives? Half the time I hear of a drive dying it is a maxtor. I've put my 40 gig seagate through countless powerlosses and it hasn't flinched.

Feydd said:
What is the deal with those maxtor drives? Half the time I hear of a drive dying it is a maxtor. I've put my 40 gig seagate through countless powerlosses and it hasn't flinched.

Funny, I've never had a Maxtor die. Western Digital however :mad: razzin frazzin multiple drives frickin frackin dying sons of so and so

PCGUY112887 said:
All right I am fairly sure the NF7-S doesn't support NCQ... but am I going to have problems haing a NCQ drive with SATA that doesn't support it?

Edit - Ah
From the SeaGate FAQ

Now I just need to figure out how to tell my mom my HDD just died.

Shouldnt be a problem, NCQ wont be enabled thats all. As for maxtor drives, I dont think I am going near it again. 3 drives crapped out on me already, but I heard the newer drives are more better. I have the WD 80SE, so far its pretty good. No problems for about 3 years now.

Well I ordered the drive. Hope I get it soon. And MaxBlast didn't do a thing :(

Last edited:
You should have backed up your data, and reformatted the hard drive. If there was a problem with the physical features of the hard drive, then it would still be affected. If the clicking went away, then you knew it was something with your data.(Note that the data wasn't transfered back yet)

theMonster said:
Funny, I've never had a Maxtor die. Western Digital however :mad: razzin frazzin multiple drives frickin frackin dying sons of so and so
Western Digitals will be the death of me.

tspier2 said:
You should have backed up your data, and reformatted the hard drive. If there was a problem with the physical features of the hard drive, then it would still be affected. If the clicking went away, then you knew it was something with your data.(Note that the data wasn't transfered back yet)

I tried already. Via knoppix and via another computer. And it just clicked away after formatting, and clicked away when Knoppix or my other computer tried to access my drive. I could see the folders on C:/, but if I tried to open one it would start clicking.

I will try to low level format it just to see what happens.

Back