• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TO: All Asus i9xx series chipset boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|Hive|

Registered
Hi all! Long Time reader, seldom poster.

EDIT --- See pic bellow:
conflict.gif

Usually when there is a conflict in windows, that particular section is open and the specific device's icon has a yellow exclamation on it. With this conflict, there is no yellow exclamation and the 'System Devices' section is closed by default as if everything is running OK.

To keep things simple for troubleshooting I have a barebones setup:

- Asus P5GD1
- P4 640 (3.2ghz 2mb) running stock
- 2x512MB Samsung DDR400 CL2.5
- Leadtek PX6600 128MB Video card
- OCZ 520W PowerStream PSU
- WD Raptor 74GB
- Pioneer 16x DVD Writer

Things I have tried to fix the problem:

1. Installed a fresh copy of windows xp multiple times, both with and without SP2. With SP1 since no smbus drivers are installed by windows, conflict happens right after installing Intel INFs (although conflict exists and can be seen even before installing the drivers using the 'system information' tool under 'accessories' ---> 'system tools'.

2. Tried multiple versions of Intel INFs 7.0s and 6.2s.

3. Tried an updated SMBUS driver from intel's own DCC from here

4. Bios 1007 conflicts. Flashing to the latest available bios 1008, and loading and running 'setup defaults'

And the conflict remains. Seeing as you have to manually check device manager for this conflict ... does anyone else have this conflict and not know?

I've run out of things to try.

:eh?:

Last edited:
Cool thanks for checking (thats a sick setup/overclock in your sig btw)... I'm guessing this issue is limited to i915 / i925 Asus boards then only.

anyone else?

cheers.

Running P4 640 on Asus P5AD2-E Premium. I show the exact
conflict that you outlined........however, no problems have
shown up so far.

Illyest said:
I have a P5GDC Deluxe; no device conflicts.

oldsarge and Illyes... thanks for checking! :cool:
Illyes since you don't have a conflict... if you don't mind, can you please refer to the newly attached pic in the first post and tell me what Input/Output Ranges are being used on your board?

1. Is the SMBUS controller using 0400 - 041F? If not what else?
2. Is the *2nd instance* (see above pic) of Motherboard Resources using 0400 - 041F? If not what else?

Any others that want to pitch in are most welcome (perhaps even those with NON asus i915 / i925 boards can check this). The pic should make it easier to see what I am talking about.

I still dunno whats causing this.
:shrug:

cheers.

FWIW the conflict is also present on the XP64 os which
should have the latest drivers.............

Has anyone ever resolved this issue?? I just bought that same board and have the same conflict.

Z

EDIT::: And further when I overclock the board anything beyond about 210mHz and during reboots the thing actually shuts off then turns its self back on as opposed to just rebooting without a shut down. It waits about 5 or 10 secs then restarts on its own. It shuts off proper and all just this weird shut down during reboot. And only when I overclock. My luck its something normal and I'll hear it for thread jacking. lol (Sorry if I did that you know:) )

Last edited:
EDIT::: And further when I overclock the board anything beyond about 210mHz and during reboots the thing actually shuts off then turns its self back on as opposed to just rebooting without a shut down. It waits about 5 or 10 secs then restarts on its own. It shuts off proper and all just this weird shut down during reboot. And only when I overclock. My luck its something normal and I'll hear it for thread jacking. lol (Sorry if I did that you know )

steveeb said:
My P5WD2-Premium with Bios 0606 has the same problem :eh?:

There is a hardware mod to solve this problem. I think it involves soldering a resistor to something on the mobo. Do a search I am sure you will find info about it.

Jibly said:
Rig in sig...What errors is this causing?

To fix it I did the following:

1. Goto http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/download.htm and download IDCC 2.0.
2. Unzip the contents of the .exe (I used winrar).
3. In device manager find the SMBUS controller (In my machine its the 10th one down under System Devices section) and manually update the drivers. The drivers are located under SMBUS\Win2000 in the file we just unzipped.

Essentially we are updating the SMBUS drivers to ver 2.0, which assigns it an IRQ and gets rid of the conflict.

cheers.

Kudos and a cold one to |HIVE| !1 Problem solved !! THX

Z

PS: In that link there is also the version of the SMBus Driver for the 915 chipset. I extracted the files then inside the SMBus folder ran the setup file. Do NOT try and the main setup file unless your motherboard is an Intel brand as it will try and detect the board. This only fixed the conflicting issue. Im looking now for this hardware mod that is supposed to stop this 5 sec shut down during reboots.

I GUESS I SPOKE too soon. seems the SMBus driver update causes windows to not reboot properly. I had to remove the driver to return to normal. Still a 5 sec shut down. I am not looking forward to the idea of having to mod this board. :-/

Last edited:
Thanks, worked like a charm. Did you notice the driver fix is a year older than the original? :shrug:

Edit: Had to roll back, system hangs on reboot

Weird. I installed the driver on a fresh install after installing the Intel INFs. Works like a charm no problems with booting.

Jibly... I did notice the 'older' file version, but since on Intel's website it lists chipsets like the 955 and the new 975 along with this download of IDCC 2.0, I thought nothing of it.

cheers.

Attachments

• smbus.gif
    smbus.gif
    43.9 KB · Views: 944
Awsome!! Had the same problem on my board and didn't even know it! Thanks much guys!!! :D

Actually, nevermind... I don't like the fact is list the ICH7 there as I have the ICH7R on my 955 board... Anyone else have a fix for this???

M Diddy said:
Awsome!! Had the same problem on my board and didn't even know it! Thanks much guys!!! :D

Actually, nevermind... I don't like the fact is list the ICH7 there as I have the ICH7R on my 955 board... Anyone else have a fix for this???

The steps and files are the same. I have an Asus P5WD2 Premium which has the i955x and ICH7R but I am not running RAID.

cheers.

Dunno... I still don't feel comfortable doing it. I'm going to give Asus support a call and see what they say.

Nasgul said:

The one part I didn't like about installing it (or after I had installed it), the drivers are from 12/17/2004. So I'm not sure what the heck they were before but since that I'm not experiencing anything abnormal I'm cool with this SMBus drivers.

My "old" drivers are from 5/23/2005.... :shrug:

Back