• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First benches scores SLI vs Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the heads-up. Minimal gains so far...but for the ease of not having to make game profiles with SLI, it's good to see the numbers are right on for the ATI solution.

So far nothing worth jumping ship yet. As much crud that has been slung out of the ATI camp about SLI performance you would think that at least they would produce an offering that would soundly defeat their opponent...but, alas...its just more of uphold the status quo stuff.

SHOW ME THE POWA!!

I dont know why people would expect two similarly performing single cards to perform any different when you throw another in the mix. I highly doubt either compay will ever hold a lead like nvidia did, ever again, but who knows?

snyper1982 said:
I dont know why people would expect two similarly performing single cards to perform any different when you throw another in the mix. I highly doubt either compay will ever hold a lead like nvidia did, ever again, but who knows?
Missed the point. ATI should have used its new architecture for the unveiling of its AMR solution...another missed opportunity. :eh?:

krag said:
Missed the point. ATI should have used its new architecture for the unveiling of its AMR solution...another missed opportunity. :eh?:

My response wasn't towards you in particular. It was more of a general statement. :)

I think it's pretty good result, considering that this is a pre-release. It took Nvidia also a bit of time to get to where they are now in terms of driver optimization etc. - so it's looks like a great start for ATI imo

krag said:
Not a missed opportunity but rather great marketing strategy...

ViperJohn made a great statement in that respect:

"There are several million R420/R430 and R480 cards already in the field just waiting to be paired
with a Master card mate to go CrossFire. It was a marketing/sales no brainer to first put out master
card for them first and get people to upgrade their existing systems and cards to CrossFire first.
After they do that then ATI can pop the R520's and the upgrade sales start all over again. That is
just palin *** good marketing/sales strategy in action my friend!!!"

What's the deal with that test? It says 6800 SLI... but that would be just one card - right??!!?? Or is that the one with 2 cards in one??

I haven't really looked at SLI stuff yet, but it seems like a good idea to me. Buy a kick *** 6800 now, then down the line, add a 2nd (when the 6800s are cheepper) using SLI to beef up performance.

Innovative? Nope. Insane performance? Nope. Honestly I, like the mass of consumers, dont care if you can get $1000 of video cards to perform 50% better than 1 $400 video card. I would rather a $500 video card that performed like $1000 worth of video cards, which does exist but ATI wants to say they can SLI. Lets stop playing the copycat game and start playing the innovation game.

madcow235 said:
Innovative? Nope. Insane performance? Nope. Honestly I, like the mass of consumers, dont care if you can get $1000 of video cards to perform 50% better than 1 $400 video card. I would rather a $500 video card that performed like $1000 worth of video cards, which does exist but ATI wants to say they can SLI. Lets stop playing the copycat game and start playing the innovation game.

agreed, this whole lets make money scheme is gay

So was Nvidia really innovative deploying SLI to begin with? Slapping two cards next to each other doing alternate Frame rendering you call innovative?
Spreading load over various processors being something so new? Hardly so.

One could also think of it as a shortcut, 'cause Nvidia wasn't able to catch up with ATI in the single card game as quickly as they would have liked. So NVidia decided to use a simple trick to gain a temporary performance gain. By using twice the same card instead of looking to finding something "really innovative" - to make a perfomance leap... all they achieved is to have a temporary lead.

ATI copycat? Sure just as much as Nvidia... isn't everyone copying each other after all...one has 1 pipe - the other gets 2 pipes etc. etc... They both using pretty much the same basic architecture - obviously they'll be doing very similar things to raise their performance levels...

We can't expect one company to sit back, while another takes over the market? Next NVidia will take the necessary step to outpace ATI again...

Chocobo said:
agreed, this whole lets make money scheme is gay
Think one is better than the other? Our own fault if we go for it...but I guess we all like taking sides, to race and to flame each other ... looking for supremacy - taunting the other

Well it will be funny where this will lead to - NVidia coming out with Quad cards - ATI with 8...the technology really has been there for a while.

The real innovative thing that NVidia did, was to raise the bar of what people are willing to spend - raise the bar by a whole lotta...

Back when NVidia was slightly trailing they could also have just increased the number of pipes to release a newer faster card.
But constantly forcing the "power-hungry" customer to buy a new card and discard the 6month old card was taking it's toll on the consumer. Selling and marketing add-ons is much more effective. That's the beauty of SLI/Crossfire. I am glad that ATI copied whoever came up with "one is better than two" - don't think it was NVidia for some reason...

I personally like the fact that I'll be able to just purchase a second or third card whenever I feel I need another speed bump - and what I really like is that I am able to buy any card I want to...

Cheers

Last edited:
Back