• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ancient PC: Retro style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

This project is dedicated to the POS systems that ppl leave lying around or toss away. This computer is a 300mhz K6-2 with 256mb PC133, 80gig HDD, and Windows 2000 for serving purposes. The poor feller was sooo ugly and old..........time to fix him up.

thebeast9iq.jpg

frontbezel5ox.jpg

metalcasing1wy.jpg

bumpspaint0pr.jpg

beingpaint4cs.jpg

These are my initial pictures. I am seeing how fast I can get this project done today using Hunter Green Rustoleum paint. I only have 1 can and its doing a fine job. :D

imag05184tf.jpg

imag05204lg.jpg

imag05221yj.jpg

imag05231rc.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd pictures you will notice bumps on the top of the case. Well those were present when I started painting. It would have taken me a very long time to sand those things down for a glossy look and I didn't have enough sandpaper or paint to get that look so this will have to do. But everything has 3 layers of paint on it. Baked dry in the wonderful sun of the Ohio Valley. :D

Now I have to put this thing back together for the time being. In a couple more weeks I should be starting on the modding of the internals. :)

Last edited:
This poor little guy is all naked in the corner under the desk. He doesn't even have any activity lights or even a power switch. :(

imag05250tj.jpg

Last edited:
See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I like the color. Keep us posted.

ps. your thumbnail links just pop up thumbnail sized pictures

Well I am going to have to put the power switch on hold until I can sand and repaint everything. I am not really that pleased with how the paint job turned out on the metal casing. So there goes 10 bucks down the tube.

Yeah, K6-2s are actually quite tolerable for regular internet and office tasks as well as audio playback. Video playback abilities will depend on what chipset and graphics you're using. I did something like this myself just for fun a few years back. I made a whole modified K6-2 machine for a meager $3 by using secondhand parts from multiple yard sales. :p

Back