• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile-P4 in regular s478 mainboard?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

What happens exactly when you put a Mobile-P4 in a regular P4 mainboard? I'm not talking about P4-M (which has advanced speedstep and power saving options) but Mobile-P4 Northwood D1 that uses a Socket-478 but runs at 1.3V. These run at either 1600Mhz or full speed, so will it default to the lowest multi thus enabling a high FSB overclock?! Or will it simply run at it's default multiplier? I have ordered a Mobile 2.8/512/533 to upgrade the 2.3/512/400 in my laptop and plan on putting the 2.3 in our kids' rig... (see sig)

i dont think it will work. although the pin config is the same, i tried it with a mobile celeron 1.1gig and it never worked again.
although that was the tualatin core, so maybe it will work.
post your results!

Spade; you just made a perfect example of a TOTALLY useless reply... (sorry!) "I don't think it will work, cuz I tried with a P3, so maybe it will work"?!?!?!?!

My friend and I dropped his mobile 2.8 into my mobo only for a minute (literally). IIRC it booted at 2.8 GHz. However, the mobiles should be downward unlocked, but you'd need to use CPUMSR to lower the multiplier. Doing this would open the potential for higher FSB.

hehe, yep useless post, i just looked on intels site as long as they are the same socket, wich it looks like it is, then you should have no problems, i know that electricly the pentium-m arch is compatible with the p-4, and sinice its a p4 should be no problem.

which version do you have? I hear the Dotham770 is a beast that trumps even the fx55 when oc'd.

(edit typo)

Mobiles are supposed to in all desktop boards revert to the lowest available Multi. Unfortuatly unless you have a Presscott P4 mobile your stuck with your Multi. As Northwood P4-M's only run basic speed step and not the enhanced one. So its not changable like they are in the Laptops.

But yes any Pentium 4 mobile will work in a desktop board as long as it supports the socket. But you should have atleast a 200fsb board to make it worth while. I need 166fsb just to hit stock speed. But if I remember right your mobile only unlocked down to 16. So you will need to venture into the realms of 133+fsb. Which is more than doable on your P4PE.

Lancelot said:
Spade; you just made a perfect example of a TOTALLY useless reply... (sorry!) "I don't think it will work, cuz I tried with a P3, so maybe it will work"?!?!?!?!

im sorry you think that. it was on topic, you havent helped him any,
and i was just sharing my experience with something similar.

so, from the next post after yours, would you think this:

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL643.html

chip would run in a desktop board?

it didn't. R.I.P.

stop slamming stuff you dont understand if your'e not going to help the original poster out.

Yea Intel was evil with the old mobile P3's the sockets were diff. I've never seen a Cele T mobile. But I'd assume it would work on a universal socket 370 the ones that supported the coppermines and the Tulatin. Oh and an easy way to kill a tulatin cpu is to stick it into a pre-T board. They changed the pin arrangement so it would spike the cpu with vcore and cook the cpu.

Lancelot said:
Spade; you just made a perfect example of a TOTALLY useless reply...

No, you have it all wrong, a completely USELESS post would be "lol, sucks to be you" or "iono". Maybe you should show a little more respect before you bable along, he at least made an effort to help you, so you should pay your respects back.

That P4 Mobile should work jsut fine but as pointed out by Ssetre you will need a 200FSB board to make it worth it.

Z

NOTE:As far as the post about the P3 while Im sure he was trying to be helpful, the P3 and P4 do not share the same socket as did the P3 and the P3 Tualatin. The Mobile P4 is a socket 478 processor. Please also note you may have to flash the BIOS to support that mobile. Otherwise the mo board will default to voltages above 1.3v

Back