• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do Canadians have to pass a math test to win a contest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeen

This is to answer the question about Canadians and the skill test requirement concerning contests:

"In Canada, if you win a contest, you haven’t actually ‘won’ yet. First, you have to complete a skill-testing question. Usually this is a straight-forward math question that anybody who remembers their orders of operation from grade 8 could answer. For example:

2 * (18-4) + 4 = ?

It’s a peculiarity of Canadian law:

Under the Criminal Code, it is illegal to hold a lottery without a licence. Giving away a prize based on chance alone — a random draw, for instance — is considered a form of lottery. The contest industry invented the skill-testing question to get around that restriction. If a contest includes an element of skill, it is no longer considered purely a game of chance.

The law doesn't force companies to have a skill testing question, it's just that the company can avoid having to get a lottery license if they have a test of skill as part of the contest. So if anyone should be accused of discrimination, it's the company holding the contest, but then again that is a little silly since it's really up to them what the requirements for winning a prize should be."

:)

Wow, that's quite interesting. In all honesty I wonder how many people would get a math test like that right...

If the question is based on 9th grade math then my opinion is this is one of the most absurd by-laws to get around another stupid law in the Western Hemisphere. For example, this would preclude a person with mild or severe dyslexia and others with learning disabilities from winning a contest. I persoanally like to see the less fortunate win contests, as they have it tough already.

I can tell you for a fact if this happened in the USA the law would be stopped in it's tracks by civil liberty groups. I realize different laws exsist in foreign countries and I believe each to their own, but this is strange.

Jawsome said:
I wish they had that in the U.S.

Only about 60% of America's adults could answer that question correctly.

thats prolly true but anyone who reads this fourm shouldn't have a problem with it :)

You think you cross a political boundry and suddenly become an algebra expert?

If I was about to win a conest I'd probably post on a forum just to make 100% sure even if the question was 2 to the 3rd power.(6)

Silversinksam said:
If the question is based on 9th grade math then my opinion is this is one of the most absurd by-laws to get around another stupid law in the Western Hemisphere. For example, this would preclude a person with mild or severe dyslexia and others with learning disabilities from winning a contest. I persoanally like to see the less fortunate win contests, as they have it tough already.

I can tell you for a fact if this happened in the USA the law would be stopped in it's tracks by civil liberty groups. I realize different laws exsist in foreign countries and I believe each to their own, but this is strange.
For people with dyslexia, I am sure, in such a caring and liberal country as Canada, they can have the question given to them orally.

I have only ever seen questions that require the use of bedmas.

tom10167 said:
You think you cross a political boundry and suddenly become an algebra expert?

If I was about to win a conest I'd probably post on a forum just to make 100% sure even if the question was 2 to the 3rd power.(6)

The majority of the time it's a time-limited question given over a phone. Sometimes it's an Internet website though.

i like the skill testing question. when i get it right, i feel smart :)

Maybe for contests in the US we need to be asked a history question in order to win a prize. With the friends I have at work, it's amazing the questions that are on immigration/natratilazion tests that most US born citizens can't answer.

Back