• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone know the thickness of a pci card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
I can't reveal yet why I want to know, but I will post back if I can finnish the project.

I'm looking for the thickness (would be guage in metal) of the board that is used. The reason why I don't just measure is I'm guessing it's a pretty precise number.

Thanks to anyone who knows.

by board do you mean PCB?

Because if you mean the card with all the stuff (caps, chips, ect) soldered on it, then things will vary.

I think he meant the layer of the board right???
Like those Nortel Networks Backplane is 25 layer thickness.
To be honest, look very thin to me so my guess would be 2-3 layer

I'm looking for the thickness of the part that slides into the slot. Just the board part. It should be a number something like .05 inches or .5 mm or something pretty small.

OR... Could someone tell me a substitute material (non-conductive) that I could use to slide down into a PCI slot.

Thanks again

They use plastic for slot blowers that slide into the PCI slot. plastic should be fine.

Don't just use any plastic.
If you go out and buy a product specifically for filling the slot, that's all well and good, but if you want to cut your own plastic as a filler then I would definately do some research on the plastic itself before you do so.
There are conductive plastics out there so be carefull :)

Quick search on google says 1.6mm. Those breadboards sold at Radio Shack should be the right thickness.

ManOman said:
Don't just use any plastic.
If you go out and buy a product specifically for filling the slot, that's all well and good, but if you want to cut your own plastic as a filler then I would definately do some research on the plastic itself before you do so.
There are conductive plastics out there so be carefull :)

Yes...please be careful. We dont want anybody to get electricuted! :)

I just love how I can search forever on google and come up with nothing, but someone else gets it in 2 seconds :)

Thanks to everyone.

Back