• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JRow

Can someone explain how you can get a Pentium 4 EE to 6.6GHZ? I want to know what board they used, what voltage they ran at, what ram voltage, everything. I plan to build a vapochill system soon and would like to know how this extreme overclocking is done.

JRow

to be honest your not get gonna get 6ghz on a vapochill system - those kind of clocks are achieved by profesional record breakers using liquid nitrogen, cpu volts over 1.7v etc.....

Most of these are FLASH overclocks, aka short lived.
Many people do this and benchmark on an unstable system.
For the practical use of this, well you are not going to find one

jAY said:
Most of these are FLASH overclocks, aka short lived.
Many people do this and benchmark on an unstable system.
For the practical use of this, well you are not going to find one
Ever heard of having fun?

Yeah, but i am not going to try to pretend he can do this this while yielding him a stable computer he can use 24/7. That is just not the case and that was not the question here.

If you like the Idea of getting a supper high OC (and possibly killing hardware) for a benchmark go for it.

as mentioned above a 6.6ghz 24/7 fully stable oc isnt going to happen. to my knowledge aside from some of the japanese benchers fugger has some of the highest intel overclocks and his are anything but stable. if you look on futuremark (03 anyway havent looked at 05) his highest shown cpu overclock is like 5.2 or so and these runs are @ -110c and colder definantly not obtainable by any phase system short of a powerful cascade and you couldnt run this at 24/7 without some massive condensation protection around the cpu socket as the traces leading to the socket will all be frozen as well and youll get condensation on your mobo around the caps/mosfets which can start to suck quickly unless you live in the middle of a desert (which is where fugger just happens to live).

i was able to get my computer fully stable at 5225 but i had to give it 1.7v and i didnt care for the temps of my mosfets getting over 60c under a continued load so i run it 24/7 @ 5.1 and 1.6v

you mentioned youd be happy with 5ghz the question now is do you already have a p4 ee and if so what type of socket is it compatable with is it s478 or 775? i think with a traditional turnkey phase solution thats unmodded youd have a pretty hard time getting an ee over 5ghz fully stable for day to day use without it being a extraordinary chip. if you dont already own the p4ee you might want to consider picking up a 680 or 660 and going from there. id definantly go 775 though since your going to have a hard time getting a 3.4e on a s478 board to be stable at much above 4.7 with the power circuitry they were designed with. as far as phase goes id recommend either having a custom one built by chilly1 pc ice or even sandman0001 can build you a good solution which tend to have better results and usually for less money than you can get a vapochill or machII for. between the machII and the vapochill ls id recommend the vapochill ls for its ease of use and you might have a hard time getting a traditional machII evap head mounted on the cpu and the vapochill ls has a optional 775 kit that works quite well. pretty much any of the 925xe options from asus or abit will work well for you the dfi uses the 925xt2 or something like that and is basicly a modified 925x if im not mistaken fugger used that particular board for one of his 6ghz suicide runs but used a test board with the dfi 925xe chipset when he got his 7.2ghz bios ss. pretty much any ddr2 option out there based on the new micron ic will let you at least run 1:1 with the memory and get the fsb up high enough to get a chip with a high enough multi like x18 or x19 to get up that high. youll need a beefy psu as well i know for mine ive had to drop back to running my main rig in my sig off my 520w powerstream because my 600w one wont carry the oc. even with 1.6v on the cpu with it going over 5ghz it just draws to much power for the dual 12v rails (think the high ones like 26a compared to 34 or 36 on the 520) as far as the voltage settings and all that yada youll have to see when you have the system all setup thats one of the best parts in ocing you get to see what you can milk out of a piece of hardware and see the gains you get from some added voltage to the core and see first hand when you hit the point of diminishing returns and go accordingly. even 2 cpus with the same stepping and week codes can oc completely diffrently maxing out at diffrent speeds and requiring diffrent voltages to get there along the way.

theres a extreme cooling forum that you can find here in the cooling section and learn a bit of what some of the ocforums members are doing phase wise. xtremesystems.org has quite a bit more people running/using and as a result posting about phase so theres a wealth of good information to be found over there as well and id highly recommend heading over there if your interested in the world of extreme cooling and overclocking. as always google searches can pull up some interesting articles on phase change cooling used for various cpu wr attempts and things of that nature. in the end your best bet would be to read up on just how phase change works and the diffrent means and methods people use to get the diffrent cooling results theyre looking for and go from there. simply asking what others used to obtain thier clocks will only lead to frustration when you find your same hardware cant duplicate thier results a good analogy is handing someone a racecar and telling them to win the indy 500. the machine might be capable but if the driver doesnt have the proper training or skill the chances of that win are pretty much nil.

sorry to ramble on here im sure ill edit this and clean it up tomorrow when i sober up some. (lol this is the just got home from getting trashed post :beer: )

Thank you much hawtrawkr. Your post has been the most informative of anything I have yet read. I currently own a P4 3.0 s478 but don't plan on using it in my new computer. In fact it's in a shuttle reflexion right now, not a very heat friendly unit. I will defintly research phase change more.

JRow

Back