• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pick me one of these cpu coolers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
looks like im gonna blow some $$$ tomorow locally as ordering online doesnt save me too much money once shipping is added.
anyhow microcenter here has these 4 and would like people to pick which they would get.

ive read about the typhoon and how people like it so im leaning towards that but i wanna here if you like any off these better?
noise isnt to much an issue.cost limit is $60 also.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0183356

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0183355

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0183046

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0189516

I'd say go with the Zalman 7700-Cu, but get it from ZipZoomFly , it's only $45 there with free shipping.
I just got one myself and it's been great as far as temps go, and a godsend on the ears :)

Out of those 4 I would pick

The Big Typhoon with my second choice being the 7700 Cu

The Big Typhoon is IMO the best HS that TT has put out to date.

Here is a nice review with a Big Typhoon compared to a 7700 AlCu as well as a few installation tips. You can see that the Typhoon beats the 7700 AlCU quite convincingly. While the 7700 Cu is slightly better then the AlCu not nearly so to make up the difference as seen in the review.

It is a big HS though so make sure your MB can handle it.

If we are going to include a few others definately give the Thermalright XP-90C or XP-120 a look as well

its kinda hard to argue with the typhoons review.
ive never bought a zalman product before and it looks rather good also.
im going shopping in an hour i believe and will see what i end up with.
ty for all the comments as they do help!

just got back and bought a typhoon.
i liked the zalman a bit better as i dont trust TT quality to much.
but after looking at the zalman i dont think it would have fit in my case the way its arranged.
so anyhow ill post back some results when i get done putting it in.

ok in and doing some prime95.
first let me say this thing is a pita to install.
i had taken the heatspreader off my 754 last week and now one side is chipped. no biggy but damnaged none the less.

its damn quiet also,id say my psu fan is louder.

i used as5 so i fully expect temps to drop over then next few days while it sets up.

before temps with a cheap heatpipe made by mge was 34-36c idle 48-51c load
now im seeing 31-32c idle and 41c load.

worth it? hells yeh!
quieter,10c drop in load temps.

this was a purchase ill own a while im sure as id be hard pressed to find quieter and better performing heatsink.hell i wouldnt even care if it was louder as long as it did a good job with heat.

I have a Zalman 7000 Cu, that's the 92mm fan version. My thermometer for room temperature says 32 C (ITS SO HOT IN HERE!) and the system temperature sensor for my motherboard also says 32 C. Right now my CPU is at 33 C. That's 1 degree C above room temperature for my CPU. If the 7700 Cu will fit your system then that'd be a great choice. Make sure to use some Artic Silver 5 tho.

jjv687 said:
I have a Zalman 7000 Cu, that's the 92mm fan version. My thermometer for room temperature says 32 C (ITS SO HOT IN HERE!) and the system temperature sensor for my motherboard also says 32 C. Right now my CPU is at 33 C. That's 1 degree C above room temperature for my CPU. If the 7700 Cu will fit your system then that'd be a great choice. Make sure to use some Artic Silver 5 tho.

whoaa whoaa that doesnt sound right. With watercooling its had to get 1* C above ambient. Your mobo sensors must be screwed.

deathstar13 said:
ok in and doing some prime95.
first let me say this thing is a pita to install.
i had taken the heatspreader off my 754 last week and now one side is chipped. no biggy but damnaged none the less.

its damn quiet also,id say my psu fan is louder.

i used as5 so i fully expect temps to drop over then next few days while it sets up.

before temps with a cheap heatpipe made by mge was 34-36c idle 48-51c load
now im seeing 31-32c idle and 41c load.

worth it? hells yeh!
quieter,10c drop in load temps.

this was a purchase ill own a while im sure as id be hard pressed to find quieter and better performing heatsink.hell i wouldnt even care if it was louder as long as it did a good job with heat.

Very nice. Perhaps you could grace us with a few pics and a little mini review on some things to avoid on installation.

Electron Chaser said:
Very nice. Perhaps you could grace us with a few pics and a little mini review on some things to avoid on installation.
i can do all that in full detail next week,as i have a dfi nf3 coming and need to swap mobos then.
i wouldnt dare take the monster off just for pics due to the risk of more chipping on my core.luckily its a cheap 2800 sempron 754 but it still kicks some major butt so i dont want to loose it prematurly.

one thing i did was not fully peel off the covering of the foam that goes under the backplate as i knew i was gonna swap mobos and would most likley destroy it in the process.

i didnt have any clearance issues with the socket part that most have to sand down when useing a cpu with HS removed, im using a chaintech vnf3 -250 for referance.

also since i dont use a heatspreader its crucial to get even tension on the 2 bolts holding it down as tere is no cpu heatsink carrage around the socket when useing this sink.
this thing is fully resting on my fragile core.so id highley advise carefull movement of the case as a good bounce could crack the core in half im sure.

i dont see clearance as an issue anywhere with it.mabey the heigth might need to be a consideration as i have 2" room before the fan hits my side panel.mabey not good for small cases. if you have a cpu fan mounted on the side panel 4" from the center of the heatsink your useing you may have clearance issues.

i do wish it came with a higher speed fan with a speed control.
this thing is about as silent as any cooler ive had but at times i like to crank the cmf up.mabey ill add one later and yeh i know it doesnt add too much better temps from others finding but better none the less and sometimes thats needed when all out benching comes time.

bottom could be lapped better yes but at least it appeares flat.
my last heatpipe sink "mge" cheapo had ridges where the pipes went threw the base itself and even after hours of sanding still isnt truely flat yet.

TT did a good job on this and for me to spend $60 +tax it better be good for me to recomend it.

I maintain that it is more of a challenge to design decent mounting provisions that it is a heatpipe heatsink. If if it could be screwed up, TT would. That's the beauty of heatpipes--they are darn hard to screw up.

larva said:
I maintain that it is more of a challenge to design decent mounting provisions that it is a heatpipe heatsink. If if it could be screwed up, TT would. That's the beauty of heatpipes--they are darn hard to screw up.
very true.i dont see why this one doesnt recomend keeping the heatsink carriage on and at least help position better than just eye balling it being true with the core.

ive always had so-so luck with TT.usually cheap parts at decent performance if you research before hand.but they did come out with a winner on this one.

i dont know if you saw above i mentioned my MGE heatpipe.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1650&osCsid=7fec6fe6d5a2ca714828bcc225b454c8
same one as in pic just renamed.
but ill be damned if it was screwed up majorly!
bottom had waves in it so big i though a id see a water skier going accross it!hours of sanding and still isnt truley flat.doesnt perform badly now but sure isnt worth much in resale until i get the bottom flat.

Question

Anyone know if the Zalman or the Big Typhoon will fit on the DFI nF4 Ultra-D mobo? Alittle worried that the ram would get in the way o.o

Back