• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N-E Capable of Dual Videocards (SLI)???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MotzKopf

Registered
I am about to build 2 A8N systems one is the A8N-SLI Deluxe and the other is the A8N-E. The A8N-E has one x16 PCIE slot 2 x1 slots and 1 x4 slot, and I noticed that the x4 slot has a videocard locking clip. Hmm, is the A8N-E capable of dual videocards? Now I know that there aren't any x4 PCIE videocards on the market (yet?). I've seen a test where they've taken a x16 card and blocked the contacts to knock the card down to x8, x6, x4, x2 and x1 (I'll try and find the link and post it when I do). I've also read that the ATi X800 XL barely maxes out x4, and that's probably the case for other current video cards on the market now (haven't really seen any tests on nVida chipsets). If that's the case I wonder if it would be possible to cut down a 6600GT to fit a x4 slot and run SLI in the A8N-E, which would be very cool. The spacing of the slots is identical to the A8N-SLI, so the bridge from the SLI would work.

If I only had the time and money to investigate this possibility. Any crazed scientists willing to test this theory?

WOW, that is cool!

Thanks for the link gulp35!

Funny if the A8N-E is a better SLI board than the SLI version...well not really since I bought both.

AWESOME
and since u no longer need the bridge, im definatly going 2x 6200's

techun said:
AWESOME
and since u no longer need the bridge, im definatly going 2x 6200's

Well I don't know about that, I know the A8N-SLI Premium doesn't need the bridge, as for the A8N-E, you probably still need a bridge, there was a link on the above forum post that had a 3rd party bridge. As for running 2x 6200s in SLI, according to nVidia, the minimum card capable of SLI is the 6600GT.

Nope, it wasn't in my plan. I'm using the A8N-E for my wife's computer, and I've been too busy to even start assembling, let-alone experiment...

I just removed my northbridge fan (it is the old version that needs to be replaced) and discovered that the chipset is almost exactly as shown in the SLI mod.

The exception is that the target traces that need to be bridged are coated in epoxy. So it appears that nvidia is attempting to prevent this mod from being used.

I figure about 2 minutes with a needle and magnifying glass will remove the epoxy barrier and allow the bridge to be restored.

Unfortunately I have no sli vid cards :(

Here is a pic of the nForce4 chipset, circled area is the target area for the mod. (I have since removed the factory thermal goop and will replace it with some AS)

nForce4-Non-SLI.jpg

Last edited:
So what's the best method to remove the OEM thermal paste, to replace with AS? I've got 2 A8Ns with new fans waiting to be installed...

eaglescouter said:
I scraped it off with a credit card, then wiped it all down with rubbing alchol.
I dont know why I think you have a "rich tendency"
IE, resolving problems with a CC ;)

WHOAAA.... Thread from the DEAD!!!

eaglescouter... do you have more pictures?

Back