• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this notebook cooler the real deal or a joke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ha I wouldent' want that thing cooling an 8086... :bang head

there are only 2 places where it actually touches the notebook, my cpu and gpu(2 main sources or heat) aren't located anywhere near those heatpipes... you must remember that your notebook sits on rubber feet... well at least mine does, if those things stick up higher than the feet can reach, your laptop is gonna be rocking when you type, it looks like it was made for only 14-15" laptops so 17" laptops are gonna be a bit tipsy. even worse if your feet are thicker than the heatpipe then the heatpipe ain't even gonna be in contact with the laptop :rolleyes:

there's no electrical anythnig so there's no way to make the heat pipes cooler than room temperature but maybe i'm mistaken and there's a place to insert ice water (which would be really cool, but also really dangerous and heavy).

i like my own custom built cooler that I made... it uses a tornado :cool:

Last edited:
On my stuff, the hot spots are the rear left corner, (CPU) and the front left corner. (HDD)

This thing wouldn't do a thing for me. Period.

steve

It does work, don’t listen to these guys. It won’t work to well for a 17" widescreen laptop but if you have a normal size 15" laptop it will. I assume your notebook sits on a wood desk, so where your cpu, battery, and gpu sits that desk gets pretty hot. This thing dissipates the heat via the aluminum design and heatpipes so the heat won’t just stay in those 3 areas. It will keep those 3 areas cooler so the fans won’t be sucking in the heat that would normally be there if your desk was on a wooden surface. Thus the fans that suck in air to cool your laptop will be sucking in cooler air to cool your components. It doesn’t matter if the laptop has rubber feet or not, it still works.

I use a lapinator for my 17” widescreen laptop. To read up on cooling laptops and a better explanation of what I just said go to www.lapinator.com

It does work, don’t listen to these guys. It won’t work to well for a 17" widescreen laptop but if you have a normal size 15" laptop it will. I assume your notebook sits on a wood desk, so where your cpu, battery, and gpu sits that desk gets pretty hot. This thing dissipates the heat via the aluminum design and heatpipes so the heat won’t just stay in those 3 areas. It will keep those 3 areas cooler so the fans won’t be sucking in the heat that would normally be there if your desk was on a wooden surface. Thus the fans that suck in air to cool your laptop will be sucking in cooler air to cool your components. It doesn’t matter if the laptop has rubber feet or not, it still works.

ok let's imagine this thing is a heatsync and the laptop is a processor... just stick with me on this...

now lets imagine the heatsync attempting to cool the processor in terms of how the laptop and laptop cooler are aranged...

first of all without any airflow a heatsync is not as effective as it could be and sorround it with wood (wood desk) and the heatsync will have difficulty dissapating heat...

second of all if the heatsync is not in direct contact with your processor and we all know that if even a couple hairs gets inbetween a heatsync and a processor it can mean a 5c+ rise in temperature...

okok so it does actually have 2 contact points... but they are not cooling anything vital, it would be like a heatsync that only cools the plastic packaging around the core but not the core it'self.

xbiker321 said:
I use a lapinator for my 17” widescreen laptop. To read up on cooling laptops and a better explanation of what I just said go to www.lapinator.com

umm that only prevents your legs from burning :rolleyes: it dosen't actually cool the laptop except for maybe adding a little extera clearance underneath. according to the description it is actually blocking the heat which means that the heat is being reflected back to the laptop.

here check out a REAL LAPTOP COOLER!!!

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=373245&highlight=tornado

Last edited:
That laptop cooler didnt work well for my zv5240us... dropped the temps 2 - 3c...

Anyways I've been trying all the laptop coolers i can find and the only one that i havent tried yet is this one...

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cooling_devices/bytecc/

I think it would work well, because its all aluminum, it has 2 fans & lifts the laptops backend up....

Anyone tried it?

I think it would work because the best laptop cooler ive used was a business card holder that lifted it about 3/4 if and inch... It cools my laptop by 7 - 9c...

yup, just giving your laptop just alittle air can do wonders...

a more effective approach to a cooler is to get a $5 mini 6 inch fan (the kind that has a little clip to clamp on to stuff) and clamp it to the top corrner of your screen and have it blow air at the keyboard... most laptops I've seen use the keyboard as ventelation and this works fairly effectively on my notebook ;)

Well I am considering the Thermaltake USB desk 80mm fans... get 2 of them & point 2 at my laptop...

I am sick of getting my hand burned because its next to my laptop's vent...

usb coolers completelly suck... 2 250mw fans do not move very much air.. plus they suck air away instead of blow air toward the laptop... when you suck air away you create a lower pressure in the space below the laptop and the air dosent move directlly beneath the laptop but instead air kinda comes in from the gap between the laptop and the fan to the fan and out, the air only slightly brushes against the laptop.

now if the cooler blows air at the laptop then you have a higher pressure in the area which means more air molocules and higher heat transfer... also you are directlly bombarding the bottom of the laptop and there is no space of air under the laptop that isn't moving...

my tornado cooler blows air... It took me awhile to decide (blow, suck) but I made up my mind.

a proven cooler, which me and my friend both use..is the Coolermaster Coolpad. his Compaq P4-M was having trouble running Warcraft 3 in the afternoon during summer, system kept rebooting, after getting the coolpad, no more reboots..and it runs fine all day.

for my notebook was a P-M based one, which didnt had reboot problems, but after using the Coolpad it was noticably cooler, esp underneath the chassis.

Back