• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi Deskstar SATA stuck in PIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I just got a Chaintech motherboard and a SATA drive to take advantage of the fact that this is the first motherboard I've had that could use SATA. Everything seemed to go ok, except that Win2K pro is saying the SATA is stuck in PIO (It does say to use DMA if available). I 'm tearing my hair out here, but I can't find anything that will let me turn DMA on. I've checked the drive with Hitachi's Feature Tool utility and it says that it is running at UDMA-6, but when W2K comes up it is back in PIO. Motherboard is an SKT600. I've read the stickies and searched the forum, but I'm still not finding an answer.

This article might of some use to you. Also this article from M$ may be useful as well.

Hope that helps! :)

dark_15 said:
Hope that helps! :)

Well, after trying everything in there except calling up Microsoft for a possible hotfix - No joy. Made sure I have the most current BIOS, most current 4in1 drives from the manufacturer, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc... :bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

"x" will be a different number. There may be several.

Under the keys, find these 2 values if they exist:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

Delete them if found. reboot.

what you'll want to watch for is the value "matchingdeviceid". Make sure that it is the right controller (primary or secondary) that has your optical devices before deleting those entries. No need to delete the primary id's if your drives are on secondary channel

Know Nuttin said:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

"x" will be a different number. There may be several.

Under the keys, find these 2 values if they exist:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

Delete them if found. reboot.

what you'll want to watch for is the value "matchingdeviceid". Make sure that it is the right controller (primary or secondary) that has your optical devices before deleting those entries. No need to delete the primary id's if your drives are on secondary channel

It is my primary system drive. Already did this, and it didn't fix it. Did it again to all the drives in case I was missing something. Still didn't fix it.

torin3 said:
It is my primary system drive. Already did this, and it didn't fix it. Did it again to all the drives in case I was missing something. Still didn't fix it.

Well, after doing some more research, it looks like the VT8237 chipset doesn't like working with a SATA II drive even if it claims to be backwards compatible to SATA 150. I guess I'll get a PCI SATA card and use that and see if that will fix it.

Device Manager, find the controller for your drive..or the drive..right click>preferences...Under one of the tabs...put it into DMA mode :)

jcw122 said:
Device Manager, find the controller for your drive..or the drive..right click>preferences...Under one of the tabs...put it into DMA mode :)

Don't mean to be rude here, but I know how to do this. However, when it is already set for this (the two options are 'DMA if available' and 'PIO only' and it is on 'DMA if available') and it still shows Current Transfer Mode as 'PIO Mode', you look for other options.

Plus I said in the first post that it was already set for 'DMA if available'. Here is a screenshot in case you don't believe me

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 150
Know Nuttin said:
it says it is in PIO mode but have you verified this with benchmarks or anything that would thrash the hard drive?

No, I haven't benchmarked it, but it takes longer to transfer data to it than to a PATA drive that does report back as DMA. Plus, the TV-tuner function of my ATI-AIW card won't work due to it reporting as PIO.

Any preferences for something to benchmark it with?

Since this is a KT600 board, are you overclocking? The SATA bus is much more susceptible to out of frequency conditions. Have you checked the available modes in the BIOS? Not likely, but worth a shot.

Here's a possible solution. The registry may not be allowing the correct modes.

Open registry editor. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" The Default Value should be "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" Go to "0001" key if your device is on Primary IDE Chanel or "0002" if your device is on Secondary IDE channel, etc, and make sure the MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed or SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed is 0xffffffff depending if your device is master or slave, close registry editor.
Go to device manager select "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and the corresponding IDE chanel go to "Advanced Settings" Tab and Set Transfer Mode to PIO and then to DMA if available again.

Xaotic said:
Since this is a KT600 board, are you overclocking? The SATA bus is much more susceptible to out of frequency conditions. Have you checked the available modes in the BIOS? Not likely, but worth a shot.
Not overclocking. I try and get a system up and stable before I try any overclocking. That way I know if a problem I'm having is related to it or not. And yes I've checked the BIOS, it is set to enable DMA on all channels. (IDE 0, IDE 1, IDE 2(first SATA channel), and IDE 3 (second SATA channel).

Xaotic said:
Here's a possible solution. The registry may not be allowing the correct modes.

Open registry editor. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" The Default Value should be "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" Go to "0001" key if your device is on Primary IDE Chanel or "0002" if your device is on Secondary IDE channel, etc, and make sure the MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed or SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed is 0xffffffff depending if your device is master or slave, close registry editor.
Go to device manager select "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and the corresponding IDE chanel go to "Advanced Settings" Tab and Set Transfer Mode to PIO and then to DMA if available again.

I've mucked about in that particular registry key before, but not that particular one. I'll check it when I get home and see if that helps. Thanks.

Xaotic said:
and make sure the MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed or SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed is 0xffffffff depending if your device is master or slave, close registry editor.

It was already at those 0xffffffff values.

Thanks for the help though.

Torin, rather than messing with the registry, have you tried just deleting the driver and letting Windows reinstall it when it reboots? FWIW, that worked for me, but I was using S-ATA I, not S-ATA II, and I don't know if it'll make a difference.

The SATA controller card arrived today.

Attachments

• info.jpg
    info.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 129
MVC said:
Torin, rather than messing with the registry, have you tried just deleting the driver and letting Windows reinstall it when it reboots? FWIW, that worked for me, but I was using S-ATA I, not S-ATA II, and I don't know if it'll make a difference.

Yes I did. Didn't work. Getting the PCI controller card with a different chipset seemed to work fine. I even have my TV-tuner functions back.

torin3 said:
Yes I did. Didn't work. Getting the PCI controller card with a different chipset seemed to work fine. I even have my TV-tuner functions back.
Congratulations. But, I have to admit, I really don't like the idea of having to worry about which chipset I've got when I buy a hard drive. Don't standards exist to prevent this sort of thing?

Back