• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PA160 use for my setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I've read through the entire thread on the PA160 design at procooling, and the performance data/reviews by Cathar at overclockers.com.au and I now want a PA160, silence for me is important, and I think with this setup my goal can be reached. I would have only 3x120mm Low Speed fans going, which would be great.

I dont really understand the math on how to work out if the PA160 is up to cooling my loop though.

Cathar at overclocker.com.au said:
Most important number to understand here is the C/W value, or Celcius per Watt.

This value tells you what the temperature of the water will be coming out of the radiator in a closed loop with a certain heat load, with that heat load measured in watts. This temperature value is relative to the temperature of the air flowing in to the radiator. The value is only true at equilibrium, meaning that the water has reached a stable temperature.

Let's assume that you have a water-cooling loop cooling a CPU that's putting 80W of heat into the cooling loop.

Let's say you're using the PA160.1 with the Panaflo L1A @ 12v on it, having a C/W of 0.031 as measured above.

This means that the water coming out of the radiator will stabilise at 80W x 0.031 C/W = 2.48C above the temperature of the air that's flowing into the radiator (most usually the room temperature or "ambient" temperature).

So if the room temperature is a comfortable 21.5C, then the water temperature will stabilise at 21.5 + 2.48 =~ 24.0C with our 80W CPU heat load.

If we instead stuck the quiet Tricod fan on it at 12v, the water temperature rise would now be 80W x 0.044 C/W = 3.52C, or in a 21.5C room, the water temperature would stabilise at 21.5 + 3.52 =~ 25.0C.

i.e. by going from the rather noisy Panaflo L1A to the quiet Tricod, our CPU would be 25.0 - 24.0 = 1.0C warmer (because the water that leaves the radiator and flows into the waterblock is now 1C warmer).

I am trying to apply that to my setup. I am using a Swiftech MCP655 at 12V.
I couldnt find the performance data on this pump. I could have sworn Cathar did some testing. I shall be using a 120mm Panaflo L1A which has 68.9CFM at 30dBA if specs are to be believed. I also may be using a San Ace 120mm which has aroun 103CFM at 39dBA. But these both undervolt well and I will be using a Rheobus.

I intend to be cooling a Athlon 64 Venice @ 2.7Ghz (assuming it will reach that speed) I am guessing this will give out about 90W of heat. Ofcourse correct me if I am way out. I am using a Swiftech 6002-64 on this.

I will also be cooling the chipset on the DFI Lanparty NF4 Motherboard using the Chipset block from DD which should be released within a couple of weeks.

I want to cool my 6800GT which will be overclocked to Ultra speeds. (I know my card can do it) GPU Block is a Maze 4 Low Profile. I think this will give out aroun 60W heat? and the Chipset 20W maybe.

All stuff has 1/2OD barbs and I am using 7/16" ID tubing.
Average room temperature is 20C. I am guessing. The room however remains cold. (Subjective I know, but you get the idea)

I am not aiming for ultra low temps, I want my stuff to be stable at the speeds above. Will the PA160 be up to the Job? Please correct me on any of my guessings. I need help using that formula, but for that I need better figures.

your 6800gt will put out more then 60W's of heat. i think the 6800 put out mybe 90-110 watts of heat, if your clocking it to ultra speeds, iirc. the NF4 chipset will probably put out 20-30W, and your cpu will give out around 100W, i think, if your using 1.6vcore. your gonna want a dual heatercore, or a dual 120mm rad for your 6800gt at ultra and venice.

I already have a Thermochill 120.2 and a pair of San Ace 120mm waiting to be installed. I got the impression from Cathar and those other forums that the PA160 scaled well with hi flow fans, and could match the 120.2. From that I like the idea of having an ulra quiet setup, as it dawned on me as I sat here *revising* in silence that my comp made an unholy racket. Vibrates really badly.

I can try, but vibrations are a small part of the problem. Its a Dell you see, not much can be done to it. The Delta fan on the back spins full blow all the time. And the HDD seek noises are very piercing.

Still looking for more opinions on this. Same Price basically. Will the PA160 give me performance I am happy with? Or similiarly, when I am not gaming, can I just turn my Fans right dowm (5V?) and the system wont overheat?

Yes, the PA160 will perform fine. I'm currently using a PA160 on an FX51, X800XT and watercooled chipset... System is silent and runs happily with everything at low/mid 30's at stock... sadly this rig won't clock properly due to it's atrocious mobo (decrepid s940 format) and lousy ram support...

Thats encouraging to hear. I may have to get rid of my current Rad then, though with my stsem overclocked it will be putting out considerably more heat than your setup Marci. My Chipset is out of the equation. Basically 200Watts I need to dissapate

Anyone seen this for sale yet in the States?

I haven't heard from DD on when they expect their shipment.

Look for a website called voyeurmods.com, they are selling currently for 139.00. Jab-tech is supposed to be getting in a order in a few weeks as well.

Apparently the PA160s will fit in the front of my Lian-Li midtower. So tempting. I miss the crazy speeds I got with my G4 hooked up, and the quiet.

Back