• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP address not renewing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

As of yesterday I cannot get my computer to renew its IP address and get online. My parents computer shares our dsl internet connection through a simple d-link hub and their internet it working fine. I tried /releasing /renewing it through ipconfig but to no avail. I tried using the program "winsockfix" since I use ad-aware pretty liberally and was wondering if something got messed up there. Nothing happened. I get an error when I try renewing the ip through ipconfig (after releasing of course) saying that the connectiong to the DHCP server timed out. I've tried using different cat-5, moving it to the knowng working port in the hub, disconnecting the other computer from the hub, turning off the dsl modem, the hub, and my computer, turning them back on and still nothing. Now, if not to make matters even more complicating, I took my computer over to my friends, turned it on and hooked it up to his router and *poof* I had perfectly working internet again. Can anybody help?

I just uninstalled the network adapter through the device manager, restarted the computer, windows auto-detected it, it reinstalled and I was good as gold. Go figure....

Damn the irony, a little while after my computer is up and working, the exact same thing happens to my parents computer, except now uninstalling/reinstalling the network adapter is doing anything, any advice??

One thing fishy I've noticed, upon going to the command prompt and ipconfig /release it will do everything properly except that it lists the DHCP server as 255.255.255.255 wtf? Just thought that extra bit of info might help, im totally stumped.

Edit: Running the network diagnostics tool reveals that everything is running fine and everything passes. The computer is succesfully able to ping the test IPs, manually pinging those is also successful. The funny thing? The computer im on right now (the one that is working), fails by timing out on those pings. Only confuses me more...

Last edited:
Since you are using a hub instead of a router from the DSL modem, each machine has to get an IP from your DSL company. It is possible that your DSL provider only allows one IP. This may be a new policy in effect. Make sure that both machines are not trying to use the same IP address. This would cause problems.

If it were me, I would get a router. Non-wireless routers go for as cheap as $10 USD at places like Tigerdirect.com. 802.11b routers go for as little as $20. The router would get its IP from the DSL provider and then give internal IPs to both machines. Just a thought. :)

Many companies (including the one I work for) are switching over to giving out 1 ip address by default. It usually is no issue to get more of them. I believe iot is de to if we give each user more IPs than they need (like everyone gets 5), then we run out and have issues. Most people only need one, and if you need a second, as I said, generally not an issue.

Check with them on the IP addresses.

Well, that would make total sense since when I tried out my computer at my friends it worked flawlessly being that they have a router. Aww, im gonna miss my old free 5 port D-link hub heheh. Well I'm gonna pick up a router today, thanks for the input. Airborne leads the way don! :p

Cool. Thanks for the update. It's always good to know what worked and what didn't.

Back