• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to this, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuz6

Registered
Ive been trying to oc my pc but its hard. If I go too high it wont detect my HDD, or will crash in windows. I look in the forum but Im having a hard time to get what I need. What can I do to have a good oc from 3.2 to 3.6 with this system.

P4 3.2 LGA775
asus P5AD2 premium
Corsair 1024MB PC-5400 TWINX DDR2 Dual Channel - TWIN2X1024-5400C4PRO
ASUS Extreme AX800 XT / 2DT
Western Digital 200GB
Thermaltake Tsuami VA3000BWA with 400watt

You need to look pci agp 33 and 66 that will be in the bios somewhere. Also sounds like you need some more volts. Read the stickys at the top of the page should help :).

looks like u have a 925 chipset so u dont have agp

just lock the pci to 33 and leave pci-e as is

u should easily reach 3.6

Thanks guys! This is what I did. The cpu is set too 3.6 (225MHz) with the vcore to 1.5. I also lock the pci to 33 but was unable to lock the pci-x too 100. System wouldn't boot. My temp is ~47-49c and about 64 to 67c in games. I'm using the asus pcProbe so I hope it gives the right temp. Running prime95 right now with the "bit of everything" setting and so far nothing wrong. :D

Load temps are creeping up a bit higher than I like to see. What cooling do you have? Might at least consider improving case ventilation. There should be a way to fix the PCI-E to 100. I'm not familar enough with that Asus model to know exactly how. Another thing to consider is setting everything back to default and updating the BIOS. Once you have the BIOS updated and have done some cooling improvements, try overclocking in smaller steps. Don't jump straight to 3.6 gig. Maybe try 210 FSB, test for stability and check temps,then go up in 5 FSB increments from there. Let us know how it goes.

What should I do with the vcore? But it back to auto? For cooling I have the stock one that came with the cpu. I have two 120mm fan that came with the tower (one in front and the second at the back) plus one on the side panel.

tower webpage http://www.thermaltake.com/XaserCase/tsunami/bwa/bwa.htm

I have the 1010 bios (latest version) from asus.

I did start with 210fsb to 225fbs. I did have problem at a curtain time but I think it was because everything was set to auto wich is the bios default. I saw stability when I put the vcore to 1.5v and after setting the ram to 3:4.

Alright, I started from scratch. This time I took my time to oc. I finaly reach 3.6 but Im having a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in windows when I try to download the new ati driver. In prime95 it did the same thing when in the blend option. Ran memtest and nothing wrong with the ram. In games everything runs smooth. I dont know whats wrong. :shrug:

Here my specs in the bios:

CPU frequency: 225
DRAM frequency:600 = 3:4
PCI X :100
PCI:33.33
MVolt:auto
Vcore:1.4125v

I tried to set the mvoltage to 1.9v but it dont help.
Also I need to find a very good cpu fan cooling because I dont like the temp.

Thank you :)

is that at default volts? you may need to bump it up one notch, but i would wait for better cooling to do that. cooling = your friend, get used to searching for every last degree C if you are serious about oc'ing.

check out the link in batboys signature....that's a very good place to start.

Thanks for the reply,

I really do want some good cooling. Especially with the summer heat. I was thinking about the xp-120 with fan. Looks nice. But Is it possible a bad PSU is causing these bsod? I have a thermaltake 400w model xp480. Later that day I was getting BSOD caused by my video card and some other memory error. So for now I got my bios back to default setting til I get some cooling and maybe a better PSU.

EDIT:

Is it possible that the thermaltake xp480 is the same as the Orion xp480? Hope not.

Last edited:
I think you just need a tad more voltage, but like Mr. Humanbeatbox said, you should improve cooling first.

Roger that!

Is the thermalright XP-120 alright for cooling?

The XP-120 is a great cooler, but be careful, it's so big that it won't fit on all motherboards. Their website lists all the mobos that it will fit. A good compromise is the Thermalright XP-92.

Well I dont remember the website but I've seen a review of it with the P5AD2-premium and it fit perfectly but needs longer screws because of the Stack Cool on the motherboard. Do I need a high end fan or just a normal 120mm fan.

Instead of the xp-120 I'll go with the xp-90c but I am not sure which fan should I use. I have the Panaflo 92mm H1B in mind but on the website it says:

"This HIGH wattage fan should NOT be plugged directly into your motherboard 3 pin connectors. You will risk burning the headers out. We recommend a 3 Pin Panaflo tail with a motherboard header saver cable."

Can someone tell me what's a motherboard header saver cable?

Or should I just go with the 4 pin connector?

Im kind of desprate right now, the summer heat is killing me. Its 31-34c in the computer room and the stock cpu fan is running like hell and I have to but a big fan beside the case with the side panel off to keep it cool.

Not sure what a "3 Pin Panaflo tail with a motherboard header saver cable" is, but I suspect it has the one RPM wire that goes to the mobo header, so you can monitor the fan speed, then the power wires to a 4-pin Molex connector.

I guessed right.

Are you saying that your mobo's CPU fan header is a 4-pin molex? Like what you plug into your CD-ROM? Probably not. More likely it's a small 4-pin connector similar to a standard 3 -pin fan connector. If so, the 3-pin connector will still plug in (but you'll have one pin unused of course).

I've just installed my new xp-90c with panaflo fan. Much better temp! before at 3.2 it was 44~48 idle and 58~60 load. Now its 38~40 idle and 50~52 load. Room temp are around 30-31c so I like my cpu temp right now. Just have to wait to give the arctic silver 5 to fully kick in. Ill try later on to o/c but not all the way to 3.6 or 3.8 unless the temp keeps cool.

Edit: Room temp right now (06/07/05) is 24c and the cpu is running at 34-36c idle and 45-46c under load. When I o/c to 3.6 the temp was 40-43 idle and 55-57 under load with room temp at 27c during the day.

Last edited:
Back