• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Kbps is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

I have all my music at 256 Kbps, but my new Audigy sound card advertises 198 Kbps. Is the extra Kbps just taking up space? I mean, if I change all my music to 198, will I hear any difference?

Are you sure you're not thinking of 192kHz? kHz is frequency, kbps is bitrate.

128 is consided cd quality i believe. As far as i was aware. basically anything higher than that we cant tell anyway. Although, the amount or size of the file is not much more being 256.

{Radical} You are Probably correct.

{Jstutman} Thanks. 256 is twice as big as 128, so a 4mb song would then be 8mb right? 20 Gigs of songs are now 40 gigs?

jstutman said:
128 is consided cd quality i believe. As far as i was aware. basically anything higher than that we cant tell anyway. Although, the amount or size of the file is not much more being 256.

That depends on how the file is encoded, but 128 is almost never CD quality -- it is actually very far from it. A file ripped using WMP's "lossless" (theoretically no data is lost in the rip) mode should play at around 1000kbps, so that would be CD quality if the file was ripped with WMP. And it is very easy to tell the difference between a file ripped at 128kbps and that same file ripped at 320kbps.

If anything, I would be ripping my songs to higher than 256, not ripping them to 128. 128 is very low and really does not sound good.

Radical said:
That depends on how the file is encoded, but 128 is almost never CD quality -- it is actually very far from it. A file ripped using WMP's "lossless" (theoretically no data is lost in the rip) mode should play at around 1000kbps, so that would be CD quality if the file was ripped with WMP. And it is very easy to tell the difference between a file ripped at 128kbps and that same file ripped at 320kbps.

If anything, I would be ripping my songs to higher than 256, not ripping them to 128. 128 is very low and really does not sound good.

Well i never said i was right. makes since tho. Never really checked, but indeed all my music is 320.

Most people can not tell the difference beyond 128kbps. Yes, 128kbps is not '100% true cd quality', but it's good enough. I ripped all my music at 128kbps to help save space, and it sounds great. Try it at home: Take a song and rip it at 128/160/192/256 and see if you can tell the difference.

jstutman said:
Well i never said i was right. makes since tho. Never really checked, but indeed all my music is 320.

Yeah I wasn't trying to be mean or anything :). I may be wrong, too.

Bios24 said:
Most people can not tell the difference beyond 128kbps. Yes, 128kbps is not '100% true cd quality', but it's good enough. I ripped all my music at 128kbps to help save space, and it sounds great. Try it at home: Take a song and rip it at 128/160/192/256 and see if you can tell the difference.

It also depends on the speakers you have and the volume at which you listen to music. The better the speakers you have, the easier it will be to tell the difference between bitrates.

Here are my speakers.

For those that don't wanna click the linky, I have the CREATIVE Inspire T5400.

The better your system, the easier it will be to hear the distortions. I would encode at the highest possible, and use LAME encoder when possible.

What codec is it? I highly reccomend -q6 vorbis, or better yet FLAC, but for mp3 I would reccomend keeping a pretty high bitrate.

I use MP3 because I don't know a thing about the other Codec's. I know I can burn CD's and play them in my car. Now, I know that could be taken 2 different ways. No I can't burn in MP3 format, and my car stereo open the file and play it. So, that brings up another question. MaximumPC did a test on Codec's, and WMA and what ever the heck Monkey is, (I think that's what it was), were the best. Will they play in my car stereo?

*EDIT* Changed WMV to WMA

Last edited:
Monkey's audio is a lossless codec, much like FLAC. Those codec's most likely will not play on your car stereo. You should definately check out ogg vorbis . It is similar to mp3 but it sounds better at lower bitrates and is completely royalty free, it is an open source project.

recommend

i recommend dBpoweramp for realitively easy ripping of your CD's ... been using it fora long time now and ive never had any problems.. personally i rip at 192k "professional ripping" vbr (keeps the filesize to a minimum while highest quality), and joint stereo :) ...

Back