• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After G70 is released, will prices drop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vance S

As the title implies: After Nvidia's new GPU is released sometime soon, will the prices of the rest of the older cards drop immediately or will they do it gradually over a period of time?

I may be in the market sometime soon for a 6600GT or some version of a 6800 if the prices in fact do drop so I was wondering if I should wait a bit because I don't mind waiting if the price drop will be worth it.

Typically, the prices of old technology decline with the emergence of something new. The answer to your questions is an easy yes. The big issue here is not if the prices will drop, though; however, it is best to ask exactly when this will occur.

In my opinion, this will not happen until high-end NVIDIA/ATI cards become available in more than just limited quantities. Once this occurs, we should begin to see a gradual drop in prices. Unfortunately, I do not see such reductions happening until the very end of this year (but that's just my guess to take it with a grain of salt).

Currently, 6600GT's are very affordable, especially given the type of performance they offer. My advice would be to look into one while you wait for the high-end GPU prices to come down.

deception``

It would also depend I imagine on the price of the new cards. From what I have read they are looking to be quite expensive right from the get go, and will probably be a bit before the lower end new gen cards are out.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll probably just end up getting a 6600GT and maybe upgrading it later on if prices won't start going down for a long while.

Back