• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Front USB port wires.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunar_Lamp

Ok, so I finally got round to investigating one of those problems that has been at the back of my mind for the past couple of days - namely the front usb ports in the comp I just built for my sister don't work. Took almost 5seconds of hard work to figure out that I'd put the connectors into the wrong places :p

However, there was a good (well, ok, not that good) reason for this: the connector is a 9pin one (row of 5 above 4, 2 banks the same with an extra ground on the solitary pin), and the front USB connectors have 4 wires, with a 3pin connector, and a separate 1 for the ground. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Now, cunningly, I had neglected to notice that the motherboard has the connectors in a different order to the connector: ARGH. Is it just a case of pulling out the wires and jamming them back in, or do I need to solder anything? Will pulling them out damage anything? Is there any special technique involved?

Hmmm, I tried pulling on them hard, and they didn't seem to want to budge. I couldn't see any solder though - is there a special technique?

Ah ok, after breaking one from an old case - I can now see how these things work - there is a little tab that can be pulled up if you push a really fine pair of tweezers in there.
Thanks Winterhavok!

You're welcome, make sure that you match up the plugs (whats written on them) with the schematics of the mobo, don't worry if they try to color-code the suckers, because case/mobo's are all different.

The entire reason I'm rewiring it is due to different order of connectors - there is no WAY I am going to get them in the wrong order :p

I stand corrected. I wired it up according to the firewire diagram on the page next to it in the mobo manual :bang head

Wasn't until I'd done 7 of the 8 pins I realised, so had to do it again :shrug:

However, they do work now - thanks guys!

Back