• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice, San Diego? What's that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dachy

When I built my system in october/november (see below) there was no talk of Venice or San Diego. How do I know what mine is? Is there a thread explaining the differences? :shrug:

more likely you'll have Winchester since Venice and San Diego Cores came out not too long, to know the differences between these cores by reading product #

Your CPU could be one of 3 cores. Either a newcastle, winchester or venice. The main difference between the newcastle and winchester is the process that they are made by. The newcastle is a 130nm process, the winchester a 90nm. From what I understand, that basically just means that the interconnects between the components on the chip are smaller and the components themselves are smaller. The benefit to this is that the 90 nm core can run on lower voltage than the 130nm and thus run at cooler temperatures. As far as I know, this also means the chips in theory would also be able to run at higher clock speeds because a chip running at a lower voltage would be able to make the switch from a 0 to a 1 alot more quickly at a lower voltage. The winchester and venice are both 90nm cores but the venice is made using a more refined process called Dual stress liner, ask someone smarter than me what that means cause I don't know ;). But what I do know is that the other difference between the venice and the winchester cores is the fact that the venice supports SSE3 instructions. Which stands for Streaming Single input multiple data extensions, which is basically just an instruction set that allows for the computer to issue a single instruction for redundant requests. It's kind of like a teacher just telling the class to sit down all at once, rather than having to tell each of them individually. It allows the CPU to move on to other tasks more easily.

Hope that explains the gist of it.

Back