• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparkle or Fortron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilxvietxboi

Well I've been suggested the Fortron for my new AMD64 rig multiple times, but when I did a search for FSP in ZipZoomFly, they gave me sparkle results. I see the prices are ~$20 cheaper, so I ask you, would you pick sparkle over fortron? Why? Which one is better? What would you do?

i would go for fortron because i heard many good things about it and never heard of sparkle before, so that just my opinion

So why is one priced $20 more then the other? I'm reffering to Sparke 530W and the Fortron 500W Blue(whatever its called)

sparkle and fortron (fsp) are the same. Notice that the ones you are looking at are not the same. The sparkle are not in the blue storm series.

FSP Group owns Sparkle Power and Powertech - same company, different name in other words.

Avoid the 530w for a new A64 build - it was intended for heavy 5v loads, and while it can power many lighter draw A64 systems out there, it will not keep up too well as 12v power demands increase. The AX500-A 460w (it is not actually a 500w as the model number suggests) is a much better choice and a newer design for those looking to build a new A64 or Prescott system.

More proof that the two are the same: Inside Fortron brand PSUs you'll often see "SPI" printed on the transformers. SPI = Sparkle Power Int. or Inc.

You don't have to go to that much trouble. Note the Sparkle model numbers.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Avoid the 530w for a new A64 build - it was intended for heavy 5v loads, and while it can power many lighter draw A64 systems out there, it will not keep up too well as 12v power demands increase. The AX500-A 460w (it is not actually a 500w as the model number suggests) is a much better choice and a newer design for those looking to build a new A64 or Prescott system.

just to be sure, should the FSP530-60GNA be avoided for such a build?

Last edited:
Back