Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Are these temps normal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 08:49 PM Thread Starter   #1
Bugspray

Are these temps normal?

I recently went to water cooling my cpu and video card because heat was causing crashes while game playing. The cpu would rise to approximately 80-90 deg C and the video card as high as 106 F. With water the cpu is a cool 39 deg c while the video card still hovers around 106 F. Setup is danger den's cpu and 6800gt video cooler with 3/8 id tubing fed parallel with a generic 120gph pump that delivers around 60gph though both coolers equally. I have not setup a radiator yet. Total coolant (distilled water) is around 1.5 gallons. Temperature reading for the cpu are from the bios and from case sensors inserted between the video card and cooler ( yes, AFTER cooler was installed )Are these temps normal?
Bugspray is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-05, 09:07 PM   #2
sunrunner20
Masta Tweeka!

Are you saying your running a loop without a radiator?
Oh, and to the forums!

Toshiba M7(Tablet): T2300, 4gb ram, 160gb seagate
My Heatware
sunrunner20 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-05, 09:38 PM Thread Starter   #3
Bugspray

That's correct. I just got it together tonight and ran it to check the temps. With a big reservoir I figured the temp wouldn't rise quickly
Bugspray is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-05, 09:50 PM   #4
meionm

who really knows, every body here are running radiators in their loops, if you had only pump running and system off, the water temps would increase

Q9550, Gigabyte ex38 ds4, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500, evga 8800gt, Corsiar 520w psu, WD 640GB HD, LG Eide Dvd Burner, Antec P182

HEATWARE
meionm is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-05, 10:55 PM   #5
PoX Freak

True, temps would rise and never fall below the coolest running temp because you have no radiator to cool the water. Temps seem nice considering you have no radiator.
I remember my first watercooling setup on the old T-Bird 1.2GHz machine i had. I started out with no radiator, and temps hit 62 degrees celcius before i shut it down. Of course, we're talking like 1998 or '99, when watercooling was in its infancy i guess.
How do your temps look after 2 hours idle? 3 hours? 6 hours?
PoX Freak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-08-05, 12:10 AM   #6
gungeek

10 Year Badge

More coolant in the loop just means it takes longer to get to a steady state temperature, but it will get there eventually although you (or the cpu) may not like the temp. Unless your reservoir can act as a decent radiator (heat dissipation device), the water temps will keep on rising until the heat dissipation equals the heat absorbed from the cpu and gpu. Since most reservoirs are not good for heat dissipation, the water temperature must rise higher to compensate.

Somehow, someway, you will be adding a radiator to this setup unless your heat output is about the same as my old celeron 300A. Sorry for the reality check.

Rig#1: i5-3570K@4.4GHz, CM 212+ cooler, 7870 and 2GB 7850 crossfired, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB, TT 675W PSU, 2x8GB, 2x1TB HD

Rig#2: i7-3770K@4.3GHz, Zalman CNPS10X cooler, 7870 and 2GB 7850 crossfired, ASRock Z77 Extreme3 MB, Antec 520W PSU , 2x4GB, 1TB HD

Rig#3: i3-3225, i5 stock cooler, 7970 and 7950 on usb risers, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB, TT 750W PSU, 1x4GB, 1 TB HD
gungeek is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-08-05, 12:25 AM   #7
voigts

It sounds like you have a kind of weak pump. The gph rating is not as important as the head rating in WC systems because without good pressure, you won't get good flow through block restrictions. Your general concensus here it that your CPU and GPU would be better off running in series and not in parallel. You can always go with a dual heatercore.
voigts is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop