• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble after upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Braeburn

Upgrade leads to worse performance!?!?!

Hey everyone, this is my first post to OCForums. I usually use Tweakers.com.au but they've really been losing members lately so I thought I would try a new forum. Anyways...

Today I upgraded my system from:
ASUS A7V333 MB (Running at only 233, or 266 MHZ FSB)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ABit Siluro GeForce ti4200
1 GB DDR (1x512MB PC2700, 2x256 MB PC2300)
SB Live! 128
WD 30GB HD
Maxtor 80GB HD
and some other not so important stuff.

So, I installed a new Athlon XP 2800+ and pulled my two slower memory chips so that I could finally run at 333MHZ FSB. Then I replaced my ti4200 with a LeadTek 6600GT. At first everything ran great, my 3DMark score was almost 5 times higher.

However, when I try and play any games, my loading time has doubled or tripled, and once the game loads, it is very chunky, even at resolutions that before ran smooth. I've noticed that the HD activity light is on a lot more. It is almost like the HDs can't keep up anymore! Is it possible upping the FSB to 333MHZ has confused my hard drives? I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drives, reseating the RAM and reseating the video card with no luck.

I also noticed that when some games load, the sound gets all off-beat and speeds up and slows down like it's having a hard time reading it from the hard drive. I've defraged the HDs and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, when I shut down windows it take a LOT LONGER than usual.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I am at a loss. The only thing I can think of is to pull my older slower HD which may be only ATA100 (which just holds my OS) and try it again. But, since it DOES hold my OS, this would be a major pain.

Please help!

Thanks,
Braeburn

Last edited:
Update: I tried dropping the processor speed down so I was back to 266mhz FSB with no luck. Still choppy and poor performance. Also thought it might be a power supply issue. I have a Antec 310W supply and I tried disconnecting all non-essential components but the problem remained.

Also, I have updated to the latest BIOS, Detenator drivers and chipset drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?

Another update:

Ran HDTach and discovered that my machine runs very slowly and appears to hang when it analyzes my second drive, maybe a drive going bad? However, I tried completely removing this drive and the problem persists.

So, next thought was the RAM. Swapped out RAM with other sticks and no improvement. Ran MemTest and passed. I feel like I'm: :bang head

I also feel like I'm talking to myself... doesn't anyone have comments or suggestions? :shrug:

Back