• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get back in the know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Ryz_Factor

Hey all,

I plan on building a new system this summer. I want to be able to play games like HL2, CS:S, Battlefield 2, etc... obviously with the thing I have now, (see sig) I can't.

I mean, I have an idea of what I want. I'm pretty sure I'll go with an ASUS board (maybe the A8N-SLI), so then I'd have to get an AMD CPU... but I am just completely out of the loop when it comes to a lot of things now...

I have like no idea about Dual Channel RAM...?
I don't know what the fastest SATA is now...
I don't know what the best cores are for AMD CPUs now...
I don't really know what video cards are the best these days...

So what websites can I visit to get back into the loop? :)

Pretty much all I have in mind right now is here and HardOCP.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

I dont think you really want the asus sli, if you really want anything AMD right now and you want to overclock DFI is the way to go. The DFI SLI-DR or the Ultra-D (modable into SLI)

Dual channel just lets it turn two banks into one it speeds up the bandwidth giving you more performance.

The best core's for amd right now are Venice (2.7-2.9ghz) and San Deiago (2.7-2.8 1m cache)

X850XTPE ($600), X850XT ($450), X800XL ($300), 6600GT ($200), 6200 ($100)

For more info check out
www.legitreviews.com (shameless plug!)
www.hardocp.com
www.xbitlabs.com
www.hothardware.com
www.anandtech.com
www.viperlair.com
www.storagereview.com

I don't plan to do any overclocking at all. I just want a nice, fast system without the hassle of trying to overclock it. I just don't have the time to be fiddling around with OCing anything right now. :p

I'll have to look into mobos more, I guess. It's just that after owning 3 ASUS boards, I've grown to like them the best. Call me a fanboy if you want, I've just always had great experiences with ASUS boards.

your best bet?

that Asus board is great for stock stuff, not very nice OCer though, but you said no OC

go for 2 gig of ram, just some good PC3200 400mhz ram. Dual Channel is just 2 seperate ram channels at the same time, so thus a bit faster, not much, but it is.

Infinatevalence forgot one card, the 6800gt, get that sucker in PCI-E format, and have fun, that is the meanest card next to the 6800ultra and X850XT.

and then just nab yourself a new big HD, SATA right now is still at only 150, perhaps 300 by the end of the year. get something like the new hitachi 400gb, or seagate, wichever you prefer. Also Western Digital has 10k RPM SATA drives out, the raptor series, they come in 36.7gb and 74.6gb flavors, and are damn faster then most HD's on the market. and are great for gaming and many other things

sound card is now days a must, i would suggest an Audigy 2zs, for features, sound quality, and it not relying on the CPU for some of its own chores. and also make sure you get a decent set of 5.1 speakers, any thing from logitech and kipsch are good, especialy in the $150+ range.

the new PSU's are some mean suckers, but it looks like fortron is the best bang for your buck, to run a newer system fine you want at least 400w, most here are getting 500w plus, just to leave space for expansion down the road. fortron's 500w blue storm for 90 bucks + shipping at newegg.com is damn good, and one of the best of the bunch, and is quiet to boot. get that for a nice big SLI system.

the thermalright XP-120 is right now the king of air cooling, and coupled with a nice 120mm fan, yes thats right 120mm, its very cool, and very quiet, and does so in a prideful fashion

you might want a bigger case to stuff this in, we realy havnt had that many new cases come out that differ from the coolermaster and Lian-li breeds, but if you want tons of room, and plenty of cooling options, then i would take a look at the coolermaster stacker, tons of space for drives and HD's and capabilities for dual PSU if thats your fantasy

mice, well the latest and the greatest mice are these, the logitech MX1000, wich i have, its the epitamy of features and performance combined, its the only lag free wireless on the market, then you have the very common MX510, wich almost every gamer and their dog has, but for a good reason, its damn good, and very fast and accurate. and then the new logi one, the mx518, wich has up to 1600dpi and is better then the mx510 by a bit, but looks a bit better, and has a user selectable sensitivity option. also razor has their awsome mouse the razor diamondback, and that thing is the direct competition to the mx518, and its a close one here folks, its just as fast, and just as smooth but some prefer the feel and size better then the logi one.

keyboards, dont worry about just a regular one will do fine, but i reccomend the logitech elite, for only 20 bucks at newegg, it will get the job done, and you will have fun doing it.

monitors, well we have progressed quite a bit lately actualy, LCD's are now gaming friendly, and CRT's are just a bit better. for your needs i would reccomend the Dell 2001FP, its a damn fine 21" LCD monitor, and even though its from dell its one of the best on the market. now if that is a bit too big Hyundai makes a wonderful 19" that will blow your socks off, the L90D+, and i have personaly used this monitor, and i love it, and it has no ghosting or delay at all. a truly enjoyable experience.

and i think that is about it. feel free to ask any questions right here, no need for you to go off and hunt when your answeres are right here, all you have to do is ask! :D

wow..that post up there could be a whole sticky in itself..too bad it'll be untrue in a couple months most likely

Shard? the AX-500A? aka fortron bluestorm 500- has a rated output of 460W, that being said, its a safe bet it takes the load just fine for about 80% of the rigs people have around here...anyways, just a bit of a clarification. :santa2:

Yeah I don't know about those 6800GTs... they seem really really pricey and I'm not so sure I have the money to dish out on one of those...

The 6600GTs look nice, though.

yeah the 6800gt PCI-E cards right now are rediculously pricey, but yes the 6600gt in SLI is damn good, and can keep up in almost any game on the market.

Thank you orionlion, as you can tell by my sig, i dont have that much experience with newer tech, but yes you are correct, that is the same PSU i was speaking about.

and techun, sadly you are right, but i can do this again in six months :D

even though i dont have the gear, i do try to keep up with the newest tech. and hopefully finally get my hands on some of the newer stuff.

Oh and sorry I didn't mention it in the initial post, but mice/keyboards/speakers/monitor and stuff are things I'm not concerned with. I can use what I already have and maybe consider upgrading that later on...

I have another question though... what is the difference, if any, between SATA2 and SATA 150?

I've been looking through threads and looked at this DFI mobo and it has 4 SATA2 slots and also 4 SATA 150 slots so they must be different... right?

The_Ryz_Factor said:
I've been looking through threads and looked at this DFI mobo and it has 4 SATA2 slots and also 4 SATA 150 slots so they must be different... right?

SATA 2 has a theoretical bandwidth of 300MB/s compared to the 150MB/s of normal SATA. However, since no single drive can even fill 150MB/s, it isn't of much use.

SATA2 is the new version for the SATA format.

SATA1 = 150mb p/s
SATA2 = 300mb p/s

so as you can see its faster, and also the new SATA2 also includes better plugs, that have clips on them to reduce the somewhat common SATA plug coming out of either the device or the mobo. wich is a bad thing :D

yeah that DFI board is awsome. i have seen countless awsome OC's with it. but i also wouldnt worry too much about it since you aren not planning to OC, and for all you know when you get this board you will just say screw it and OC, due to its insane amount of OCing options. :D

Edit: Sjaak kinda beat me to it, but he also forgot something else, right now Hitachi is still working on their new 10k RPM mass storage options, such as from 10k RPM 400gb HD's to the rumored 700gb 10k RPM drive, and these will all be SATA2. and i bet they will begin to use up and surpass the current SATA spec of 150mb p/s. that and some of the newer tech, such as NCQ (native command queing) its where insted of just circling the whole platter. it actualy sets the commands in order in correlation of where the current posistion of the needle is at the present moment of the command being issued. that i find to be a rather usefull tech if you ask me

that would probably be best for now. i myself am just going to go buy a 250gb SATA and call it it for the time being. you realy wont see that much performance gains the higher you go.

Thanks guy! You are the best!

If I have more questions I'm sure I'll just post in here. You guys know everything.

well in fact Sjaak, from what i have noticed, stickies are not always up to date, and dont contain everything that one is looking for. so feel freet to INTELIGENTLY ask. dont just start spouting off random idiotic questions that are easily found by searching, or reading stickies. even myeslf, with nothing better to do, gets realy tired quickly of answering the fabled "is this PSU good?" questions.

Back