• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

master/slave

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpt>hollywood

sounds kinky........

seriously, i just noticed my HD is primary master and my dvd combo drive is listed as secondary slave. those are the only 2 devices i have in my box so should i switch the cables in my case?

should i run my optical drive as secondary master or something else. i guess what i'm trying to ask is can i do away with a cable in my box or just keep the 2 cables and switch the second one to make the combo drive primary also.

damn, i confused myself there.......

would it make a difference? is that all i need to do, or is there anything else

thanks!
:cool:

It varies by system and drive. It's best to have both as master on their respective channels, but optical drives will sometimes will function properly as slave on it's own channel. Other times, it may cause errors, normally in burning processes.

Do not place both drives on a single cable. This reduces access to sequential access to each drive, whereas UDMA drives on differing channel can both be active at the same time. This is also crucial to allow as few buffer underruns as possible during burning.

The correct way to set it up is with both drives as master on 2 cables.

that's what i thought, both master on thier own cables. i guess in my rush to set up the new box i put the wrong end of the cable on the drive.

thanks for making that clear for me.

You have to change the optical drive's Jumper to MASTER Position (because it probably is in Slave position).

Hirlix said:
You have to change the optical drive's Jumper to MASTER Position (because it probably is in Slave position).
Or its set on CS and like he said he placed it on the wrong end of the cable.

Back