• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fooling an x800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveTwo

I have a radeon x800 xt pro 256mb card, and i'm trying to fool windows into thinking i'm at say... 1280x1024 resolution when in reality i'm getting 2048x1536 through the monitor so I can play a higher resolution on a game. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums, but im not sure what your asking

do you want to game at 1280x1024? or 2048x1536?

what is the max res your monitor will run?

I want the game to run at 2048x1536 while my computer THINKS it's putting me at 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

i have a 21" sony trinitron that supports 2048x1536 @ (i think) 60hz

there is no way to do that, you either run at 2048x1536 or you dont. Why did you want to do this, to be honest it makes no sense to me.

IrishAssassin said:
Yeah, no way to do that and I don't see a reason to it either.

there is always a way :p it just depends on how complicated it is as to whether it is practical or not. if i have to learn a new programming language to do it, it's not worth it haha, i'm too lazy for that.

DaveTwo said:
there is always a way :p it just depends on how complicated it is as to whether it is practical or not. if i have to learn a new programming language to do it, it's not worth it haha, i'm too lazy for that.

:confused:

Windows doesn't render frames from a game onto your monitor. Your video card does. If your video card is rendering a frame thats 2048x1536 its never going to get the performance it would get if the frame was 1280x1024. So no there isn't always a way to do something impossible.

it's really very confusing what you are trying to achieve - what's the idea behind fooling windows to think in having a different resolution than what the display is actually rendering? This certainly will not improve performance in any way. Maybe if you give us better idea what you attemptiing there might be better advise....

I'm thinking he wants to do it so everything isn't so freaking small, but still gets the benefit of a detailed image.
Or not?

There is actually i think it is called SuperSampling.. where it doubles the resolution.. then resizes it down.. one of the FSAA methods available. I think it was introduced by 3dfx? but wasnt a feasable solution till more recent cards.

IWasHungry said:
I'm thinking he wants to do it so everything isn't so freaking small, but still gets the benefit of a detailed image.
Or not?

Well for the desktop I could see a reason - for that there is the accessibilty option in the control panel - to change sizes for fonts/pointer... etc. while still keeping the higher resolution.
But for ingame the size what you get is what you get...

Umm, why don't you just set your desktop resolution to 1280x1024 and once your in the game, use the system options to set the game resolution to a super high one?

Even if you could achieve that resolution trick, all it would do would stretch the video out onto your screen still giving you 1280x1024 quality video.

Back