• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

I have just put together my first home built rig and i am (of course) having problems,

Parts,
Used Intel Server Motherboard (ebay)
Two Intel Slot Processors (ebay)
One 40 gig Hard Drive (ebay)
One 480 Watt Powersupply (ebay)
Cheiftec Case (Newegg)
One Cd Drive (ebay)

The Graphics card is built in

Now heres my problem, i boot everything up and all fans and lights go on, then i hear 5 beeps and nothings on the screen, is the graphics card messed up? or what? Pls Help TY

Look at pictures for better understanding

i have one stick of i think 256 it was pulled off of a old dell from my friend

since you pulled the ram outta a dell, i doubt it's ECC ram.

try getting registered/ECC ram

I am surprised that Dell even came with DDR, most of the older Dell's wanted to propagate RDRAM and that would have been a pain in the neck, but yeah, go find a stick of ECC Ram, any flavor would work just to see if thats the problem.

I have a dell 8400 3.4, if i take out the 256 stick of that memory and put it in the computer will it work, is it eec ram?

Nope that wont fit, the type of memory i have in it now is Siemens SDRAM, pc100-222-620, is that the right kind?

Error-Correcting Code memory, it is mainly used in servers and dual processor motherboards. Downloading the pdf file now, get back to you again in a few minutes.

Wow, you do have an older server mobo, it requires the older SDRAM PC100s (ECC and Non-ECC compatible), if you have a stick of SDRAM in there then either your motherboard is DOA or the memory is. Look/ask around for someone who might have PC100/133 RAM and try a different stick, it may have just been a bad stick. What type of sequence are you hearing in the POST beeps?

i am hearing four beeps in a row, the memory is most likely the problem, where can i find the proper memory for this board?

What would i look for on ebay?

HA!!!... I knew it was RAM!!!... :)

Im just curious why you're building such an old system??... Dont wanna spend money on newer stuff?...

Candy

SolidxSnake said:
since you pulled the ram outta a dell, i doubt it's ECC ram.

try getting registered/ECC ram

I've been running my "primary" for 6 years without ECC. A slot duallie just like his. I doubt that's it.

Im just curious why you're building such an old system??... Dont wanna spend money on newer stuff?...

Hey, I can play HL2 on my computer! :D

Last edited:
Back