• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notebook CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

My mom has a Sony Vaio pcg-grz530 and i'm wondering how I can get the cpu out so I can put some as5 on it and clean the dust off.

-1cem4n

PS: I don't know if this belongs here.

Its my understanding that you can remove a cpu from a notebook? Its soldered down or something cause the notebooks were only made to handle a certain speed and it could damage it if the cpu was upgraded or something, Im not sure if you can or not but their should be a port on the back if im not mistaken where you can access the cpu and ram slots

Then what are the mobile processors you can buy on newegg etc... for? I have no idea how to get at it though. A friend of mine likes to mod her laptop and when ive seen it apart it was in all kinds of pieces. Keyboard out, lcd off, 3 or 4 dif layers of plastic shell laying around. Ive also see her take her heatsink off.

It all depends on the laptop.. some have there processors soldered as waddupmm said.. some take the Mobile Pentium chips which are removable and upgradable and some have plain old 478 Socket processors in them..

Need to do some research on your laptop

I've taken apart alot of laptops and a few have soldered in cpu's especially if they are older than about 2 years. First off, check the back of the laptop for removable panels. If you cant access the cpu then you will have to remove the keyboard to get at it. I am on an HP right now, and i have to remove the keyboard, and one speaker to get at mine, and i have also replaced the processor and removed the thermal tape and put on paste. It just takes some exploration and patients with the small screws. Also do a search for manuals on google, i did and found an hp tech manual that covers all aspects of repair on my laptop. good luck

Back