• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats Your Southbridge cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Wanted to know what kinda southbridge cooling all you guys have. Mine is naked and its not very sexy. :p

Anyways, bought a passive zalman cooler than i might be able to mod somehow iwth a fan.

mines built into my northbridge!!!!!
pwned!!!
;) (im just j/kin)
most southbridges (the newer ones, not the ones from the nf2 days) have small epoxied hs's on 'em
you might gain a few fsb mhz's by puting a heatsink on the southbridge

I have a passive HS that I bought some months back I have yet to get around to mount it since I will have to cut it up a bit so that it is not in the way of my video card. So as of right now it is still wearing it's birthday suit.

I'm using the stock passive HS for my Epox right now, and will also be doing so for the DFI I get (s754), but I sometime hope to get it active air cooled

LoL. Same. I have this old motherboard lying about. Has an elite group hs on the nb. Might pry it off and cut it down to size and stick it own with some artic silver thermal adhezive or something.

Any ideas on how i can make that zalman passive heatisnk active? its the blue cooler if fyi.

I had some PCI clearance issues with my southbridge so I took a thin passive NB cooler from an old P2 motherboard and used some AS epoxy to put it on my SB. I'm not sure if it does anything, but it should keep it a little cooler in theory. I don't use onboard sound, so I'm just worried about onboard LAN for the southbridge.

I nibbled the mounting arms off of the stock nb sink on my GA-6OXET and plan on mounting it with AS adhesive. Its short enough to let a long pci card sit just fine. I doubt it does any actual cooling as it weighs maybe 10-15 grams and was designed to look nice and cool second but eh if it helps with the unlocked pci bus all the better but atleast it will look cool. The NB is getting a cooler rated to cool all P3's.

I just robbed an old nVidia card and used the HS and fan off it. I used some thermal tape since it is all I got right now. When I get some monies for a good thermal adhesive. I will get a larger combo going. Can wait to mount the cut up SlotA Tbird HS on it.

I used a startech chipset fan that had a heavy copper hs,I didn't have any mounting holes so I used a very small dab of super glue in one corner & some thermal grease.I also had to bend the mounting tab's on the hs up so they wouldn't interfere with other mb components.

My southbridge on my NF2 board (A7N8X Deluxe) never got too hot, but once I started using the soundstorm digital output, I put a small passive heatsink on it just to be safe. I didn't notice any sort of cooling on the southbridge of my shuttle when I got it.

Back