• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone has idea on how well x850pro oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I couldn't resist and picked up a x850pro pci-e for $280 from newegg refurb section. I know, I probably can pick up a x800xt for $50 more but I just want to play around with it.

Does anyone have one or know how well the x850pro oc compare to x800pro?

Thanks

It will probably overclock higher as far as numbers are concerned, however to have it perform as well the x800pro you will need to adjust ram timings via ATI tool and overlcok somewhat further than the x800pro which shouldn't be to much of a problem.

The R480 core is known to do really well, your card should fly with decent aftermarket cooling :)

What kind of RAM does it have? If you've got the better Samsung GC16 on there, you should see at least 580 MHz out of the memory, if not more than that :).

On account of the "better" overclocking core (on average the R480 really does do quite well), and a high chance of 1.667ns memory, your card should do better than an X800 Pro in terms of performance after overclocking.

well, i haven't received the card yet but hopefully by tuesday.

i haven't really played around with the timing of ram on the ati cards. there's about 20 timing settings, which ones should i adjust?

thanks

It might and the keyword is might be able to be hardmodded to unlock your 4 additional pipelines. I think you have to use a special kind of pen and the odds of it working are pretty slim but hey, if you did, you would have a X800XT PE PCI-E for only $250!

X850 Pro video cards do not have unlockable pipelines unfortunately. The additional four pipelines in the R480 cores that make it to X850 pro cards have been "hardlocked" at fabrication, probably due to bad pipelines.

i already have the assumption that the rest of 4 pipes can't be unlocked, i just hope to get better overclockability on the card.

For mem timings try those:

TRCDRD: 7
TRCDWR: 3
TRP: 5
TRAS: 13
TRRD: 4
TWR: 6
TR2W: CL+2
TW2R: 4
TR2R: USE TWR RULE
TR2R: 2
WR_LATENCY: 1.5
CAS_LATENCY: 7
CMD_LATENCY: 0
STR_LATENCY: WR LATENCY
REFRESH_RATE: 0x75
TRFC: 23

Can't wait to finally see what a X850Pro can do - there are currently only duds on ORB - keep us posted!

just received the card today, but it came card only. i don't have the power cable at all, know where i can get one ?

ok, i was able to find the cable in pc computer, so i'll test it out tonite and post the result later.

DAMNIT! Card arrived DOA!!! :mad:

Now, I am 3 for 3 on DOA video cards on recent refurb purchased from newegg.

All the anticipation, all the excitement... all gone!!

3 for 3 DOA??? Are you sure? I had 7 refurbs from newegg and zero DOAs. Sorry to hear that. Did you check you mobo and bios?

well, i know my shuttle mb is fine cuz my x800xl works.

i know, before this, i had no problem with refurb video cards from newegg. bought 2 ti4200, 1 ti4600, 1 9800pro and they all worked flawlessly. just recently i bought 6600gt, x800pro, and x850pro and none of them worked.

maybe i m not connecting the power cable correctly or something. for the pci-e to molex cable (seen here ), i thought i only need to connect 1 molex to the cable correct? either way, i tried connecting 1 or both, but comp won't even boot with either x800pro or x850pro.

There are 2 different version of ATI connectors!!!
Lol - ran into the same prob once before...you probably had the wrong kind - hope you didn't pass on too good deals...you might have passed on THE wonder card...lol

Last edited:
Here ya go - image from Hardcoreclocker. Get it straightend out and tell us what the friggin OCs are! 'Don't keep us waiting any longer - we wanna see some results already :santa:

Attachments

• powerplugx850xtpe3hk6pk.jpg
    powerplugx850xtpe3hk6pk.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 89
AND you need to connet TWO molex cables if that is the one you have - if you don't have the ATI supplied cable for the correct card this is the problem. One molex only - MIGHT work if all the correct pins are powered....

Back