• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTT variance from 1000mHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willkill1337

I think that the standard HTT speed is 1000mHz at base HTx5 right?

200x5=1000mHz.

I also understand that if you wish to increase the base HT then you have to lower the HTT multiplier/LDT multiplier such as:

250x4=1000mHz.

However, I am planning on building with the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and probably a San Diego 3700 with the 11x multiplier. I have also learnt just now that memory speed is divided off the CPU speed, not divided off the HTT base as previously thought. This makes the prospect of memory dividers seem even more terrifying although I would like to run the memory 1:1 in ratio with the HT base as I think that gives a higer performance?

What I would like to know is how much you can vary the HTT from the 1000mHz value, up and down before the system will become unstable using the above mentioned motherboard.

Thank you very much, William.

Most people say around 600-900MHz is fine. However, stability is greatly affected if you increase it above 1000MHz. You won't see any performance increase or decrease by raising or lowering the HT speed.

as jcollins said, HT speed does nothing really. you see no increase from having it at 1000mhz then you do at having it at 200mhz. Its one of those things that HASTA be under 1000mhz, or else instablity ill set in. My ht speed was at 250x5, which is 1250, and it crashed in IE. id say you can run ht sped 1100 before you get HUGE instability. in the long run, going from 270x4 to 270x3 for HT, its un-noticable.

Thank you sooo much, that was incredibly fast! I didn't really want to know from the point of view of increasing the HTT to increase performance but rather from seeing how low or high it could go in planning my future first overclock.

Btw, CCUABIDExORxDIE it doesn't take much to crash IE!

yea, my mom still was on her IE using bender, i have switched every rig in the house to Firefox though, i made the icon Internet Explorer, and changed its name to ie. so now, theres no spyware EVER!

Rofl, I see. I am not on my own rig and on my mum's laptop with IE. Bizzarely this laptop has never recieved any real spyware to my knowledge although I think that I had better run AdAware now...

With a San Diego 3700 do you think the possible are goals and make sense?

266mHz RAM
266x03 = 0798mHz HTT
266x09 = 2394mHz CPU
266x10 = 2660mHz CPU
266x10.5 = 2793mHz CPU

That would be if I were to buy some PC4200 RAM which is considerably cheaper than getting some PC4800 such as the GSkill LA or the OCZ Platinum:

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC4400 Ultra Platinum CAS3 = £123 ($222)
OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC4800 Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2.5 = £199 ($360)

Although the GeIL would have a worse latency, this will not be a major issue as I definately wouldn't have to run it much higher than rated and I am not an extreme overclocker or anything. I have only owned OEMs in the past and this will be my first build. :D

with a San Diego, you can expect atleast 250x11 for 2750mhz cpu, and then you can run 250x4 ht for 1000mhz HT. id check out some UTT based rams, like twinmos Speed premiums. They are ch dies only now, and will be very happy with that dfi board.

Heh, I accidentally ran my HTT at 1040, and it was already incredibly upset. Entire system locked up.

You can generally go over by a tad, i run one rig at 255x11 which puts my HT a little over default without issue. However it will not hurt performance to have it running much lower. As mentioned the side effects of a high HT are greater than running it well under default. Like in my case i run 300x3ldt gives me 900, doesn't make any difference at all. Also try to avoid .5 multis, you'll hurt memory performance.

Back