• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Card does not like DVI monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

Here's a strange one...

I have an older machine running a Tyan Tachyon 9600Pro Video card. While building my new workstation, I decided to hook up the new lcd monitors (Viewsonic VP191b) to the old machine since my old lcd monitor gave up the ghost.

So I hook up the first monitor to the DVI connector on the video card. Note that this is the same connector to which the old lcd monitor had been connected for years. Turn on the machine...nothing for about one minute...no beeps no video, no bios, nothing. After about one minute the video card starts making the two-tone "European" siren sound.

So I turn the machine off, try to hook up an old CRT monitor; same thing. So...Re-set the mobo to 100mhz, clear the cmos, remove all pci cards, the machine boots with the CRT monitor. Plug in the new monitor with the DVI...siren again...reset as above, all is well. The same routine with the second new monitor and cable.

In short, the monitors work fine using the RGB cables on this card (using a DVI>RGB convertor on one channel), but whenever the DVI connector is used, the machine just won't boot at all. Wierd, Eh?

To be honest, i've never heard a computer make a noise based on the vga connector used. And i've never heard of a video card that made beep noises either.

what happens if you plug in both at the same time? and then try switching in between?

have you tried a different DVI cable?

Back