• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

Heya, Ive recently bought an A64 Venice CPU, and im wondering what I should do about cooling.. I hear the stock hsf is good for getting relatively good ocs, but im looking for something a little better than a stock hsf, but I'm on a tight budget for the next few months

The two options ive been thinking about are:
1) Watercooling, this would have to wait at least 3months or
2) Thermalright XP-120 w/ 120mm delta

1) Water cooling: I've only ever seen one of my friends here in New Zealand actually have water, and he brought a prebuilt from OCNZ.. im wondering what you guys could advise me on what i should do.. im not the best modder, infact ive never modded before, so building would be hard, and risky for a noob like me, so would buying a prebuilt be the better idea? if so, what do you think is a good prebuilt watercooling system for socket 939? :)

2) Now, although noise doesnt worry me much as i have a Volcano 12+ EE @ 48dBa, it would be nice to just tone the delta down a bit, as 59dB is quite a bit louder than 48dB :p. I was wondering, the delta site says that you shouldnt use any rheostats with the fan, but in one of the stickies it says that unless youre deaf, you should use a rheostat.. Can you actually use a rheostat safely with the deltas? if so, would it be possible to mod my current Volcano one to work with it? comments are welcome :)

Thanks for your input,

Careface*

I think WCing might be a little much, unless you want the OCs, have the money and patience, and are willing to learn about WC (cause its just somehting else i recommend if ur WCing).

If ur gonna air cool, and are willing to have a large HS, go with either that XP-120, or what is better, Thermaltake's Sonic Tower, I cant remember who, but either Electron Chaser or Sententinal has tried that HS and said it performed well better than the XP-120, which is pretty cool.

hmm thanks, ill look into the sonic tower :D.. i am willing to learn about wcing, but i dont really want to "test" it on a brand new a64system if you know what i mean lol, maybe an old duron or something though..

Careface*

well, watercooling isn't for everyone, especialy considering the price list for WCing parts in NZ... air cooling is still a good option, if your looking for a delta http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html these guys stock EFB series AND they deliver internationally. although if you do want to go watercooling there is alot of useful information in the stickeys...

Back