• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transmit DSL internet over the air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

OK here is my problem. I live in the mountains with a lot of trees. I am way up a road and no broadband company will run the wires to my house. So I have ended up paying 50 bucks a month for a second phone line so I can use my 56k Internet while on the phone. My friend however who lives down the mountain a little is able to get DSL Internet. I was wondering if its possible for me to have him get it and manually run it to my house by way of like a satellite dish. I think I saw them once on techtv being used to send Internet signals from house to house. With all the trees though it would need to be a strong signal. Also how fast are these dishes? I know like direct-way is a lot slower then DSl but that goes through space and these wouldn't so I figured that may make them faster. Any ideas on how I can do this we are about half a mile from him. Also we are higher it that changes anything.

Ok I read some more on that thing and it sounds great. Seems only problem now is picking out the router and wireless card. Also need to set up a pc at my friends house since he dosnt have one. Any suggestions on good routers to use on desktop PCs?

Last edited:
Modified Primestar dishes work great.
There are also 2.4GHz amplifiers available if you still can't get enough signal, but they're hard to find and expensive.
You just need a wireless router on one end and a wireless adapter of some sort on the other end.
Try to minimise antenna cable length and use good cable to minimise loss.

Ok not sure if this should be here or the cantenna thing. Any way I foundthe router and pci card I will probaly get. Only question now is how lickly is this of working through say half a mile of trees? Spending like 200 bucks and it not working would really suck.

I believe you will need line fo sight. which means the trees might prevent you from being able to get it working. Do you have cable TV? If so try to get broadband thru them.

Nope its satallite, cable wont come this high. They way things are looking this probaly wont work. Only way is if I became friends with the house I can see in the valley like 2 miles away and not one tree in the way. Anyway thanks to you both you the advice. For now I'll just stick with 56k I geuss.

Back