• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWS: Helical Tubing Provides Even Flow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
25036301.jpg

The problem with this is that blood flow in these prosthetic tubes is different from in natural blood vessels. Arteries naturally twist like a corkscrew and this 3D structure makes the blood swirl as it flows, which stops it stagnating. In contrast, blood flows through an artificial tube like water in a river, leading to areas of faster and slower flow, and stagnant zones, resembling the inside of river bends where sand builds up
From NewScientist Magazine: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18625036.300

Just thought it was interesting and I'm wondering what kind of effect the tubing might have on flow rates (positive or negative) if used with water cooling equipment. Especially in line runs with tight bends.

either this should be used in loops with lots of tight turns, or in high flow water blocks.

otherwise, i dont think there would be any advantage using this type of tubing in a loop thats already very low restriction.

Yeah, I could see it being more ideal for tight-space systems like in SFFs. I would eventually like to see comparisons though if the tubing ever gets made in larger sizes.

they would just need to start making helical shaped tygon :p

if there is enough demand, im sure some company will try it out

water cooled SFF....:drool:

i could see how it effects blood, because high blood pressure is bad, but with a water loop as long as it doesnt leak itll be ok, and you usually make sure your tubing can take it, and the one that swirls around, although more effective, travels further, so the advantage of presure from pump being more efficient is cancled by extra distence, and on the parts that dont have tight bends (usually people avoid them any way dop tubing doesn kink) the straight flow is much more effciant, because flow is both uniform and travels less. has nothing to do with WC

I don't think it would make any impact on flow rate to have the water traveling in a circlular patern. It's still going the same distance just moving in a different pattern. It may take longer to get the system going initially but once it's primed you would most likely not notice a difference in flow rates.

mysterfix said:
I don't think it would make any impact on flow rate to have the water traveling in a circlular patern. It's still going the same distance just moving in a different pattern. It may take longer to get the system going initially but once it's primed you would most likely not notice a difference in flow rates.
moving straight you always travel further when traveling at the same rate as when moving on a curve, so when the water moves in a circular motion alot of energy created by the pump is lost greater distances. all i got from this article that the helictal movement maintains even water flow and reduced pressure on the outside, and only on tight bends, most bends in WC arent tight and you are supposed to leak test anyway so it isnt relevent

Back