• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plextor PX-712SA Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ju5tin99

I just installed my new Plextor PX-712SA SATA DVD burner, and now Windows won't boot. It is recognized in BIOS as a slave IDE device. I don't have it set to RAID because I have read elsewhere that it will cause problems. I have heard that this drive has issues with certain chipsets/mobos and my mobo wasn't listed on their compatibility list, but I have also read that people have used these with mobos not listed without any problems. I can't even get Windows to boot in safe mode. Plextor's site is down, so I can't go there for troubleshooting, and their customer service is M-F only. Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? BTW I am using a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra with the NForce 4 chipset.

ju5tin99 said:
I just installed my new Plextor PX-712SA SATA DVD burner, and now Windows won't boot. It is recognized in BIOS as a slave IDE device. I don't have it set to RAID because I have read elsewhere that it will cause problems. I have heard that this drive has issues with certain chipsets/mobos and my mobo wasn't listed on their compatibility list, but I have also read that people have used these with mobos not listed without any problems. I can't even get Windows to boot in safe mode. Plextor's site is down, so I can't go there for troubleshooting, and their customer service is M-F only. Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? BTW I am using a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra with the NForce 4 chipset.

Your motherboard BIOS does not properly support SATA optical drives even though the drive is recognized. Try different BIOS revisions to see if it solves your problems. A less likely issue is drivers. If you installed the nvidia IDE drivers uninstall them as they are pure garbage. Use the MS IDE drivers instead.

In some cases (like mine), you have to set the actual RAID BIOS to JBOD. I don't know why, but my SI 3114 controller on my board forced me to do that. After I did, it's been gravy ever since.

Bar81 said:
Your motherboard BIOS does not properly support SATA optical drives even though the drive is recognized. Try different BIOS revisions to see if it solves your problems. A less likely issue is drivers. If you installed the nvidia IDE drivers uninstall them as they are pure garbage. Use the MS IDE drivers instead.

To install the MS drivers, do I just remove the nvidia drivers from the device manager, then restart and put in my Win XP disc when I am prompted, or will I have to go to the menu and pick the drivers myself?

Back