• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD -> Intel, need reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

Planning on upgrading one of my rigs (old AMD Socket A system whose harddrive slowly became a server) to another Dually PC-DL 1.6lv sys. The question is, do I need to do a re-format, cause there are way too many programs to re-install and re-configure them, and I'm rather impatient with everything.

I would strongly recommend a clean install. As you changed boards all your device and chipset and IDE etc drivers will be different now. So you need to either boot into safe mode or the like and uninstall all devices via the device manager and then reboot on the new rig and let it find the new devices, or reinstall XP. The latter is advised.

/\ Yeah, a repair install might work, if you uninstalled all your drivers and stuff right before the repair install. Like everyone has said, a clean install is going to be your best bet.

Back