• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600 pro vs X800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

A friend of mine told me that he has a 9600 pro with 512MB on the card, PCI-X. And claims it can beat an X800 pro PCI-E with 256MB. Is there anything to this? And, do the X800s really have that many problems? And is PCI-X even used anymore, I thought we were moving to PCI-E?

Or am I wasting my time because I know my X800 will own that sucker?

the 9600 was a strictly AGP card with a maximum of 256mb of memory
your friend is full of BS
x800's own all the 9x00 series (exept for the SE version :p )

PCI-X is not the same as PCI-E (aka PCI Express). I do not remember the differences but I have read other people saying they are not the same.

PCI-X is a server spec that you wont find on most enthusiast boards. PCI-X is like PCI, except it can have either a 64-bit wide lane instead of 32 for normal PCI, run at 66 mhz instead of 33 like normal PCI, or both. It has nothing to do with PCI-E.

Oh and as for the original question, no there is no way that a 9600 could beat any x800. a 9600 has 4 pixel pipelines, the lowest any x800 has is 8, with the pro having 12 and the XT/XL/XT PE having 16.

download 3dmark 2003.

tell your friend to run it and show you his score. then you run it and smack him around after trouncing his 9600pro scrore with your x800pro's score

Back