• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need PSU Recommendation inexpensive but stable and silent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukeman

I need a PSU that is silent. I tried to mod my last PSU to be more silent and three days later a sizzle sound followed by system power off was the end of the PSU. (Nothing is burnt and now smoke followed it so I don't know).

My new mantra is Mod Nothing...If it ain't right when I get it, send it back!

I need a PSU that will power this rig and is stable, silent and inexpensive if possible.

Current System is in my SIG: Details are 3 sticks of ram, one HD, one CDRW, 2 120mm case fans, one 80mm HSF fan, 2 CCFL lights.

Recommendations Please...

OK, after reading some more it looks like Fortron is the value choice.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Fortron or are there models to stay away from. I'm really ready to not be disappointed with my next PSU purchase.

Fortron Bluestorm is a rock solid psu. Id go for it. It is one of the best out for that price range.

Dukeman said:
OK, after reading some more it looks like Fortron is the value choice.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Fortron or are there models to stay away from. I'm really ready to not be disappointed with my next PSU purchase.

wel it doesnt have some of the features that youd get from something like a OCZ power stream or a modular PSU that youd spend $$$ for but its rock solid quiet, and when ever you choose to upgrade, it will fit your means there for a while too. best part of all is that forton doesnt rebadge their PSUs they actually make then so your cutting out the middle man

Sparkle (relabled fortron) works good to, I have a sparkle 400W that Im really happy with, currently running on it I have 1DVD burner, 3 Hardrives, 5 12in cathodes, an OCed XM-M, 2 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans

but yeah Fortron makes great powersupplies

Fortron is probably the best value for the money. Antec is easier to find in stores, though.

OK. What about SeaSonic. Are the features and rated silence worth little more money than Fortron. And if I choose to spend a little more money, is there a better PSU?

BTW, thanks for the recommendations so far...

And if I choose to spend a little more money, is there a better PSU?
PC Power & Cooling is the best available. Antec Neopower is also very good, but also very expensive. Both are overkill for most home systems. They're meant for business computers and very high end PCs.
Just go for a Fortron if you can find one for a good price. Be aware that Antecs have weak fans, but that's easy to fix. After running the PSU without mods for a day to make sure that it is not defective out of the box, carefully peel back the warranty sticker with a fingernail (don't use tools as they'll scratch the case), open the PSU, and jumper between 12v and the + side of the fans.
If your PSU has fan only connectors, it might be possible to just jumper from the + side of the fan only connector to 12v on a regular molex (have not verified this).

Dell_Axim said:
After running the PSU without mods for a day to make sure that it is not defective out of the box, carefully peel back the warranty sticker with a fingernail (don't use tools as they'll scratch the case), open the PSU, and jumper between 12v and the + side of the fans.

Yea, I modded my last PSU to make it quieter but provide better airflow. It worked for 3 days. Now its dead with a voided warranty. I really want silent with stability without the need to mod anything. I will check for Fortron reviews for the information on quietness.

I haven't seen a Fortron review that specified that the blue storm was quiet. Can anyone direct me to a review that has measureed the blue storm db and compared it to another quiet PSU?

Yea, I modded my last PSU to make it quieter but provide better airflow. It worked for 3 days. Now its dead with a voided warranty. I really want silent with stability without the need to mod anything. I will check for Fortron reviews for the information on quietness.
Buy a TrueControl and turn the fan adjustment all the way up!

good psu, over priced tho. its about as stable as a forton but you pay about 30 dollars more for a psu thats just a lil more quiet. the powerstream 520 is a better psu

s random said:
good psu, over priced tho. its about as stable as a forton but you pay about 30 dollars more for a psu thats just a lil more quiet. the powerstream 520 is a better psu

The OP said "I need a PSU that is silent." so I think he would want tp spend the extra $30 to get something that is quieter.

Have you checked SilentPCREview.com's list of recommended PSU's. Since silence is a key concern for you I'd recommend checking them out. Their more recent PSU reviews also include sound files so you can get an idea of what they'll sound like.

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
Have you checked SilentPCREview.com's list of recommended PSU's. Since silence is a key concern for you I'd recommend checking them out. Their more recent PSU reviews also include sound files so you can get an idea of what they'll sound like.

AntecRep

SilentPCreview is a great site :thup:

BrutalDrew said:
The OP said "I need a PSU that is silent." so I think he would want tp spend the extra $30 to get something that is quieter.

if he has a solid case (like 1.2mm aluminium) then he wont hear a forton either

Back